Light-O-Rama Forums

Input Device

Protege94

I already have purchased the CTBXX Input Connector Gen3, but am looking at purchasing the the Input Pup. Here is my question.....

I am wanting to build between 1 and 4 light up buttons that I will place at the edge of my yard. The buttons will trigger a specific sequence. I know that both boards have an output of 9v, but am I wrong in thinking that the CTBXX Input Connector will be able to power 4 light up buttons better than the Input Pup because the power is being provided from a 120v powered controller over a USB powered 485 Booster?

Here are the buttons I am considering: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11966

To bad your not closer to Chicago Il I have a pole 7 feet tall with 4 big buttons  4 colors and a Imputpup mounted in  CG 1500 box on pole I used this for interactive show at sidewalk. Push the big red button the red trees come on push blue bottom  the blue trees come  and same for the other 2 buttons  also one short pole with big button that would activate singing Santa face to tell jokes I ran this when the music stopped   Have not used this for last couple years just sitting in storage 

Edited by Dennis Laff

15 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

To bad your not closer to Chicago Il I have a pole 7 feet tall with 4 big buttons  4 colors and a Imputpup mounted in  CG 1500 box on pole I used this for interactive show at sidewalk. Push the big red button the red trees come on push blue bottom  the blue trees come  and same for the other 2 buttons  also one short pole with big button that would activate singing Santa face to tell jokes I ran this when the music stopped   Have not used this for last couple years just sitting in storage 

My wife and I go to Chicago every Christmas (maybe not this one, we just had a baby) and enjoy all the festive things. 

Do you have a display page?

You can go to YouTube.  Look up . Lafffchristmas.    Reflections of earth.  Light o Rama  I won  light o Rama contest with this one  I'll send you a picture of pole with buttons if you send me your email  I never going to use them anymore  like to change display every few years . Dennis 

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:29 AM, Dennis Laff said:

You can go to YouTube.  Look up . Lafffchristmas.    Reflections of earth.  Light o Rama  I won  light o Rama contest with this one  I'll send you a picture of pole with buttons if you send me your email  I never going to use them anymore  like to change display every few years . Dennis 

Dennis, if I may ask, were the buttons in use during the show? I want my show to keep going and when someone wants to press a button to turn on a group of channels, just as you did, did your show stop when someone began messing with them? That is how I would like to set mine up. I want mine to stop the show when someone is messing with the buttons and then when said person is done it returns either back to the beginning of the show or back to where it left off. 

On 4/5/2018 at 7:42 AM, Protege94 said:

I am wanting to build between 1 and 4 light up buttons that I will place at the edge of my yard. The buttons will trigger a specific sequence. I know that both boards have an output of 9v, but am I wrong in thinking that the CTBXX Input Connector will be able to power 4 light up buttons better than the Input Pup because the power is being provided from a 120v powered controller over a USB powered 485 Booster?

The InputPup does NOT have a accessory power output..  It can take power from another controller via pins 3 & 6 accessory power OR it can be locally powered via a 9V source.  Looking at the docs for the switch, that is a two wire connection for both the switch function and the LED.  The InputPup MAY drive enough current to turn on the LED, but I suspect it will be VERY dim as the InputPup has a fairly high resistance current limiting resistor.  The same would likely be the case with the inputs on a CTB16, but I have never used one for that purpose.

Just a note in case you are using Enhanced networks.  You CAN NOT detect inputs on an Enhanced network (except in the Hardware Utility when it won't be operating Enhanced mode).  For that reason, I have a separate LOR network that is non-enhanced just for my InputPup...