Light-O-Rama Forums

Transitions

Arthur Kleiderer

I present my light show on the sets of Chistmas productions and i was trying to find the smoothest way to do fast transitions without turning of the lights.

The light show i do is on the set of my church's christmas set. I run it at the beginning of the show right before the opening scene. After that the lights become a part of the stage lighting. The last two years I've done it I simply had an extremely long animation set up for each color and switched animations for different scenes. This year my director is asking for smoother transitions with fades, and given that being a live production the timings are unknown I can't simply write a sequence or sets of sequences with fades. Also, hardware manager is out because I need to control 3 boxes (hopefully more) at a time with precision timing. I guess I'm looking for an obvious idea I missed or an out-of-the-box idea.

Ah. now I understand. Of course, I don't have any ideas to help you but I do understand what you are trying to do. LOR is not really designed for realtime management.

Yea, I noticed :?. Well I'm currently talking with our lighting tech and seeing if he can rig the wires into his DMX controller since the both operate on the same principle. Hopefully he will somehow be able to but i may have to resort to the dreaded animations.

What about using stage light controllers? I used to run the light show for a local band; we found the equipment at a music instument store. You can purchase, and sometimes rent. The control board has fades for each channel as well as a master fade (control all channels at once). It also has "bump" buttons to momentarily turn channels on, and is programmable for short sequences. You may already be using one of these for your stage show, but it's the only thing I could think of.

I just found out its lookking like I'm going to be our lighting tech this year. We rent a large amount of moving lights about half w/ gobo's and half color washes and control these with a DMX board that is also rented. I'm probably just going to have to wait until i can get my hands on the board and mess around with it

Arthur,

Have you check your thread under the DMX forum? I posted a message there that contained a link where Dan was previously solicitating volunteers to test new firmware that would be able to actually put the LOR controllers on a DMX universe.

If everything is talking on the same communications then you can be able to use the lights hooked to the LOR boards during your actual show as well. AS I see it, just means you program your LOR sequence as all are DMX fixtures. Then it would be a matter of swapping the DMX cable from the LOR show to the main show control board.

Chuck