Light-O-Rama Forums

Permanent Christmas Lights

CKSedg

Recently at a home show, I ran across three companies that were selling "permanent" holiday lighting.  It is an aluminum track mounted under the eaves with rgb lights every 6 inches or so.  They come and install it where you want and you "never" have to get up there again!  The ones I am looking at are DMX compatable and have two different zones (every other light along the track).  My questions:  1) has anyone looked at these for integrating into their LOR show?  2) If so, how would I control them?  The company has never sold any to someone who runs LOR, but they are looking into it for me.  Any help from this forum would be appreciated.

They are a bit pricey ($16.00/lineal foot), but with age creeping up on me, and a fall from a ladder (not Christmas light related--I was trying to get a bat out of our cabin!), my wife says it's either lights like this or no lights at all!

Thanks for your help.

I have had my RGB strip lights mounted on "F" and "J" channel under my eaves for 5 years now and haven't had any major issues. 

I hired a guy to install my dumb RGB strips on the top of my house. That was 3 years ago and they are still going strong. The power/data cable is ran behind the down spout so you cant see it.

There are much cheaper ways to do this it seems if that company is really expensive and does not tie into our controllers.

Here is a link to their website.  I still have many questions.  They have to integrate into LOR, or they're no use to me.  I'm going tonight to see a demo on the manager's house nearby.  We'll see.................

http://wasatchtrimlight.com/ for the Utah local company

or

https://www.trimlight.net/  for the national company

It looks nice but I wonder how easy it would be to change out a bulb or a strand of lights with that encasement...

You need to look at it and see if it's 3 wires when you go over tonight. The bulb casing looked like a normal pixel bulb.

You could always ask for a sample to test with LOR. It could help drive his business as well. :)

I'm just learning about rgb and how it works.  I have some flood lights for my display that are rgb, but other than that, this is all new.  The manager said he was going to contact Light-O-Rama and see if he could talk to a technician about how they could be integrated.

Although the cost is always a concern, for the position I am in life, it's more about safety and having someone else install them--if they indeed will work.

Thanks for your comments!

4 hours ago, rcoaster said:

The strings appear to be similar to this: http://store.lightorama.com/12vblsqpi50c1.html  On the Trimlight site, they appear to be 4 wire, just a matter of finding out which IC the string is on, and then configure a Pixie 4 to use those lights. 

4 Wire = dumb nodes = not for pixie series controllers

JR

4 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

JR

Don't forget that LPD8603 and ws2801 are four wire smart pixels.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

JR

I agree with this evaluation after watching their Videos. They all change at the same time.

4-wire could have been smart pixels  with a clock lead

In the video, I saw two different colors on the string. That could mean that it's a smart pixel string, and there isn't much action due to the limitations of the controller. 

Thanks for all of your responses!  I finally found out what was going on with this company.  I went to the franchise owner's house to see his lights and how they were controlled.  They are two strands of "dumb" rgb lights intermingled every other one.  That's why every other light could be a different color.  Two controllers, one for each string.

He is working with me to provide rgb "smart" strings, and I will control them with an LOR pixie controller.  The company has been working on providing smart strings, but hasn't yet developed a controller that they thought the average "Joe Public" would be able to operate, so they haven't rolled them out yet.  They are hoping for next summer.  They seem very excited to help me with my project.  I'll let you know how this works out!  By the way, they are four wires (+, data, clock, ground).

Thanks again for your help!

• The topic was locked