Light-O-Rama Forums

Moving to a NEW Computer

Jack

Upgraded to a new Computer and looking for the best way of starting over?

Which program should I load First etc.?

Install the LOR software.  Run Sequence Editor.  It will ask where you want your data files.  Point where ever you want.  You will likely need to re-enter your registration code.  Do so.  Copy your data files from your old computer and put them onto your new computer in the specified location.

Jim, Thanks for the reply. I had ver. 4.3.24 loaded and during the move I loaded 4.3.26.

I copied the Sequences from the old pc to a jump drive and loaded them into a file I named Sequences that I created.

OK, lets start over, 

Where would I find the Proper way of loading LOR files so they are stored in the correct locations, I want to do this correct the first time than deal with the BS later. The old pc was c:\--Docs---LOR---sequences,audio,PE, etc.   The new pc went c:\----Program Files (X86) what ever that means----LOR, but I hade to make the Audio and Sequence folders.

I have had some kind of issues from day 1 of the first load 4.3.14  and had to have help but we got it working, just want to keep it simple. I attached a screenshot that shows LOR and Programs Files(86) with LOR folders also.

Is this something you can answer or do I need to go to the help desk?

The first time you run SE on the new computer, it should run the LORPost.exe program that will ask where you want LOR to store your files.  Tell it where you want them.  You DO NOT want to point to anything under \Program files.  The reason is that depending on what operating system you are using, the Program Files directories are somewhat protected to make it at least somewhat harder to accidentally screw up installed programs.  Most likely target for normal people would be to create a LOR folder under My documents and point to there.  The LORPost program will then create all the sub folders (Audio, Sequences, Visualizations, etc) for you.  AFTER that, then copy your existing files from the old computer to the new computer.  Note that you may still need to change the Media File setting in every sequence because of changes to how Windows creates user "My documents" folders in different versions.  There is a solution to that however (although you would still need to change existing sequences).  This is what I do.  In Windows, create a mapped network shared drive and assign it a drive letter.  I use L:  On every computer, as far as LOR is concerned, all the files are in L:  In the case of all the computers at home, L: is really D:\Shared\LOR on my file server (shared across my network).  In the case of the two stand alone computers (a laptop and this desktop that is 26 miles from home), L: is really C:\LightORama, but as far as LOR is concerned, it is always L:  That means I can move files around or edit stuff on different computers at home and never have to worry about them looking for different file locations.  The big advantage is that if I replace a computer (I have several times since 2012 when I started), I just map L: to where ever it needs to point for that computer, and the LOR software is happy.

One other note - since you brought it up..  With Windows XP and prior, program files were normally located in folders under C:\Program Files.  With the advent of 64 bit computers and operating systems, Microsoft created a different versions of the Program Files folders for 32 bit vs 64 bit programs.  C:\Program Files is normally used for 64 bit programs and C:\Program Files (X86) is used for 32 bit programs.  The software installation program will NORMALLY put it in the proper location.

Thanks for the (x86) info had that mess up-ed.

So, It looks like I should delete all the files in the Program files and then uninstall LOR and start over??????

Everything in my C:\ --- L.O.R. folder should be ok, I have a version 4.3.26 in this folder should I delete it and re copy from LOR to a different location?

Thanks for your help,

Jack

You may not need to get that drastic, but it is an option and does not really have much in the way of down sides - does not even take all that long to do.

Jim,

The Auto Install Shield Wizard wants to install the program to C:\\Program Files (X86)\light-o-rama\

So, is it safe to assume that the LOR software is a 32 bit design?

I am thinking your earlier note was where my data,  i.e. sequences and audio files where to be stored in the Documents folder  not the program file it's self, correct?

Sorry for bugging you,

Jack

11 minutes ago, Jack said:

The Auto Install Shield Wizard wants to install the program to C:\\Program Files (X86)\light-o-rama\

So, is it safe to assume that the LOR software is a 32 bit design?

Correct

11 minutes ago, Jack said:

I am thinking your earlier note was where my data,  i.e. sequences and audio files where to be stored in the Documents folder  not the program file it's self, correct?

Correct.  Let the install wizard install the program where it wants.  It WILL work if you force it somewhere else, but there is no reason to.  When you run Sequence Editor the first time it should ask where to put the data files.  Point it to where ever you are going to put your files (for example:  My Documents\LOR).  It will build all the sub folders for you.  Note:  Because you had a prior install on that computer, it may not ask where to put the files.  If that is the case, exit SE, find LORPOST.exe in the C:\Program Files (X86)\light-o-rama\ folder.  Run that and it will ask where you want the files.  Let it build the sub folders.  Then copy all your sequence and audio files to those new folders.

OK, got it loaded and the Sequences and Audio files tied together, now I'm missing the last step between the Visualizer playing the Sequence.
I can now open my file within the Visualizer program select the file, (Visualizer Enhanced Rendering), open it,  the Elements are displayed and the Fixtures listed along the right-side, press the Blue Simulation mode button and ready to play. Press the Play tab, the music starts you can see the sequences playing in the back ground BUT no lights in my Enhanced Rendering display.
I am running windows 10 home pro and using the latest LOR  ver.4.3.26

Close very close,

Thanks,
Jack

2 hours ago, Jack said:

Press the Play tab, the music starts you can see the sequences playing in the back ground BUT no lights in my Enhanced Rendering display.

I had that exact same experience with a Windows 10 laptop. 

I went to FILE > OPTIONS > Tab 6 and way at the bottom, I UNchecked the Advanced Rendering Engine option and everything all of a sudden worked just fine.

Thanks George for that info, however didn't fix my problem.

I don't want to rebuild this page, but....

Thanks again,

Jack

In sequence editor under play tab is the control lights and control visualizer checked? Under edit tab,  preferences, Visualizer preferences is that info listed in there match the com port setting info in the Visualizer? I had a similar issue which after checking the basic trouble shooting it turned out I had to reload drivers for my com port and it worked. Just some suggestions.

Tom

LOR set me some info about the Visualizer and its Tutorial section.

We got the files in SE to play in my Advanced Rendering location, now we need to work on files from the PE side .

Thanks for your feedback and have a great day.

Jack

• The topic was locked