Light-O-Rama Forums

How to connect light strings that are far apart?

MphsGal

I need to cut my channel requirements!  I have, for example, two strings of white LED mini lights. The ends are 10’ apart but can both be on the same channel. With what can I bridge that 10’? Is there a maximum length? Plugs?

Thanks y’all.

SPT1 or SPT2 will be your friend. You can get vampire clips male, female and center ends.

Its making your own extension cords

Ensure to look at some instructions there is a polarity with this wire. It is very easy and only required a cutter and for me with limited use of my hands I use channel locks or a small hammer to help me secure the cap.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

JR - Is right - simple to create your own extension cords. I've made over 1000' of my own and never had a problem. As your channel count goes up making your own is the only way to go.

7 hours ago, dibblejr said:

SPT1 or SPT2 will be your friend. You can get vampire clips male, female and center ends.

JR is point on. They are your friend along with the vamp plugs. Make the length you need without all the extra cord laying around. 

Many LED strings are non-polarized.  Vampire plugs have a Wide pin that will need to be filed down.

CAUTION: if you do this, DO NOT mix in any polarized strings further on down the cord.

Alternate method: use a 'cube tap' or 3 outlet cord from the controller and 'Y' off to the strings

42 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Many LED strings are non-polarized.  Vampire plugs have a Wide pin that will need to be filed down.

CAUTION: if you do this, DO NOT mix in any polarized strings further on down the cord.

Alternate method: use a 'cube tap' or 3 outlet cord from the controller and 'Y' off to the strings

Never the less the person making their own cords using zip cord SPT1/2 and vampire plugs should use the polarized method just in case they need the cords for anything else.

I did forget to mention  cutting those tabs on the male end whenever required.

JR

1 hour ago, mpageler said:

Or just go buy buy a pre-made extension cord if you only need a few. 

Only need a few??? In this hobby??? LOL  B)

1 minute ago, Santas Helper said:

Only need a few??? In this hobby??? LOL  B)

It was amazing to see how fast my first order of 20 pairs of vampires got used up. Or how 'short' a 250' spool of SPT is :rolleyes: (I was just making 7-12' cords)

• Haha 1

SPT 1/2 options as others have pointed out is the most cost effective.   

I also use monoprice for a lot of my premade extension cords.  If you buy in bulk they give a discount and pliers can remove that pesky ground plug if you need to plug into the backside of a strand.