Light-O-Rama Forums

EMT, Rigid and PVC Conduit Non-metallic Quick Latch Hangers

mwilson6192

Look what I found today: Arlington QuickLATCH Non-Metallic Quick Latch Fittings for PVC, EMT or Rigid Conduit

I have been searching for a while for a solution to permanently mount a fastener to my house fascia, columns, windows, etc. that would mount 3/4-inch EMT conduit, but not be extremely obtrusive as well as securely mount the EMT conduit and easily release it. In my research, many folks use PVC pipe to mount pixels/CCRs to your house fascia, columns, windows, etc. For mounting PVC pipe, the best solution I found was HolidayCoro which sells clear polycarbonate (UV rated) PVC pipe clips for 1/2-inch PVC pipe. I was looking for something similar but for 3/4-inch EMT conduit, because I personally prefer EMT over PVC (but note that the manufacturer indicates it is for PVC as well).

Roaming around Home Depot and Lowes, I bought a couple of different "fasteners" but didn't like any of them. Then I stumbled across these fasteners today, made by Arlington Industries (link above). They are UV rated and come in sizes from 1/2-inch to 4-inch for EMT, Rigid and PVC conduit. The great thing is the ease of installation and equally the ease which one may remove EMT conduit. I intend to paint these hangers the same color as my fascia and windows (beige), permanent mount them, and simply snap the EMT conduit runs into place (just like the PVC pipe clamps). They look like they will be easy to mount (one of my runs is 17-feet), and importantly they look like they grip solidly.

I ordered a bag of these from Amazon today, and will try these out when the weather gets better (11 below zero this morning in Syracuse, NY).

I attached a video of this product as well.

They look promising. I may have to try and use them on my ccr tree. Took about 2 hours to take the emt strips off today. 2 screws per strap, 6 straps per string. Only to do it all again at Halloween. These can be left on my horizontal supports.. Would more than likely need to add a stopper on the bottom of the tree to keep the emt sections from sliding down but that easy.

Thank you for sharing.

JR

12 hours ago, mwilson6192 said:

Look what I found today: Arlington QuickLATCH Non-Metallic Quick Latch Fittings for PVC, EMT or Rigid Conduit

I have been searching for a while for a solution to permanently mount a fastener to my house fascia, columns, windows, etc. that would mount 3/4-inch EMT conduit, but not be extremely obtrusive as well as securely mount the EMT conduit and easily release it. In my research, many folks use PVC pipe to mount pixels/CCRs to your house fascia, columns, windows, etc. For mounting PVC pipe, the best solution I found was HolidayCoro which sells clear polycarbonate (UV rated) PVC pipe clips for 1/2-inch PVC pipe. I was looking for something similar but for 3/4-inch EMT conduit, because I personally prefer EMT over PVC (but note that the manufacturer indicates it is for PVC as well).

Roaming around Home Depot and Lowes, I bought a couple of different "fasteners" but didn't like any of them. Then I stumbled across these fasteners today, made by Arlington Industries (link above). They are UV rated and come in sizes from 1/2-inch to 4-inch for EMT, Rigid and PVC conduit. The great thing is the ease of installation and equally the ease which one may remove EMT conduit. I intend to paint these hangers the same color as my fascia and windows (beige), permanent mount them, and simply snap the EMT conduit runs into place (just like the PVC pipe clamps). They look like they will be easy to mount (one of my runs is 17-feet), and importantly they look like they grip solidly.

I ordered a bag of these from Amazon today, and will try these out when the weather gets better (11 below zero this morning in Syracuse, NY).

price per each?  have you looked at HC clips?

^^^^ Price is ~$0.81/latch clip (only available in bags of 100 count). As I noted in my post, I did look at the HC clips but they are only available in 1/2-inch size for PVC. I was interested in EMT conduit and larger sizes, so I did not compare price points.

• Like 1

for me I wanted it small and light, was only going to be putting rgb strips on it.  Works great for my application though I do like the latch clips.

How would you handle the strip at the point where the clip clamps onto the pipe?  Obviously the clamp could not go over the strip.

16 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

How would you handle the strip at the point where the clip clamps onto the pipe?  Obviously the clamp could not go over the strip.

I’d just run the strip over the clamp just as I do the rigid straps used to connect each vertices emt section to my horizontal cross braces.

I would then add another section of emt across the bottom to keep the vertices sections from sliding downward as the tree is moved around

JR

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I’d just run the strip over the clamp just as I do the rigid straps used to connect each vertices emt section to my horizontal cross braces.

I would then add another section of emt across the bottom to keep the vertices sections from sliding downward as the tree is moved around

JR

Isn't that over-complicating the build?

22 hours ago, mwilson6192 said:

what will you mount to these? Strips? Bullets?

Also thinking in advance here.

where I place my tree is the flattest part of my home. It’s the roof over my garage.

I could take my top section of CCR tree and fasten 16 of those clips at my spacing to it.

then snap in the emt conduit.

Then I could build a base to accommodate the strips and secure the base to the ground.

That would save a lot of space and work during setup and takedown.

No need for entire frame.

JR

6 minutes ago, caniac said:

Isn't that over-complicating the build?

It’s actually easier than removing 12 sheet metal screws and straps per strand. Also eventually the holes in the emt will wear out/ get larger due to removal and replacing.

1 screw to install and never need to remove. 

Doesn’t sound that complicated to me

Edited by dibblejr

HC clips are clear and not really noticeable, leave those up year round and just pop in the PVC when it's time to outline the house.  snaps in place easy peesy.

11 minutes ago, caniac said:

HC clips are clear and not really noticeable, leave those up year round and just pop in the PVC when it's time to outline the house.  snaps in place easy peesy.

Its not that easy on my house, I wish it was. The HC clips work good for horizontal mount but I do not think they will hold vertical fixtures as well. I am not talking about roof lines etc. I already have that resolved, I am trying to improve the ease of setting up my CCR tree for my limitations.

JR

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Good question, Jim. I plan to mount my ribbons using HolidayCoro's Pixel Strip Mounts with Diffuser Cover (I bought a zillion of these at their Pre-Sale price). I was intrigued with the mounting of strips to an aluminum channel, and also was intrigued by the diffuser cover - same concept as place ribbons/strips in opaque PEX or HDPE pipe that some member are doing (same as I am with my Johnson arches). I am still configuring the mounting method with which to mount the HC Pixel Strip Mounts to EMT conduit, but I plan to build my roof lines, window frames and column "runs" using 3/4-inch EMT conduit. I will permanently mount the HC Pixel Strip Mounts to the EMT. Where the Arlington quick latch is located on a given run, I plan on building a very small raised section with gentle "slopes" where the "open" position on the latch clip will slide easily under the raised section, then snap securely closed. I really like the full grip circle of the latch clip as it encompasses the entire diameter of the pipe it is gripping.

2 hours ago, caniac said:

what will you mount to these? Strips? Bullets?

RBG Strips (ribbons).

1 hour ago, caniac said:

This is the exact same concept with the Arlington quick latch clips. While they are not clear, they are UV rated and are intended for permanent installation. I plan to paint each clip to match my house color and permanent mount the clips. As others have pointed out, repeated installation and removal of clips can strip a given mounting hole over time - more so for wood installation in fascia, etc. Being UV rated and painted to match my fascia, window frame and columns, they should be relatively "invisible" at the street. Snaps in place easy peesy as caniac said.

I sure hope these work. I want them to work.

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, roha0612 said:

Curious to hear if people used these and if they were happy with them?

I ended up making my own from the same pvc conduit I was using by cutting them and then putting a 1/4” slice end to end. Secure them to the house with either sheet metal or masonry screw in some places - vertical hanging.

Or the HC clear clips for the places that were either straight horizontally or at an angle like my roof lines.

JR