Light-O-Rama Forums

Holiday Lights Designer 4.0

Denny

This is posted on the Holiday Soft forum.

[align=center]xx.gif

Re: Holiday Lights Designer 4.0 Launch Date
« Reply #1 on: Today at 06:23:53 PM »
quote.gifQuote

Holiday Lights Designer 4.0 is now available for purchase. A fully functional 30 day trial version is available here: http://holidaysoft.com/Purchase.htm

Please utilize our user forums to provide user feedback and report any problems. We have a new support ticket system you can utilize as well. We sincerely hope you enjoy this new release.

[/align]

Do you know if you create an image in the trial version, can you transfer it over to the full version?

(and how many computers you can put a single copy on?)

crazytrain83 wrote:

Do you know if you create an image in the trial version, can you transfer it over to the full version?

(and how many computers you can put a single copy on?)

i purchased the software today then downloaded the trial ver to play with while waiting for the reg #s to come through. it transferred everything i had done into the full ver.

Hi folks, I have been playing around with HLD 4 as well. I think once I get the hang of things, this will be a great tool.;)

Some things I have discovered that may save you some frustration.

If you have a problem, just post it in the Bugs forum of HLD 4. Michael is very quick to respond. The support@holidaysoft.com thingy is a little behind. But he seems to be monitoring the forum on the spot.

If you have used a previous version ie HLD 3, uninstall it. I had a bunch of directoies, folders etc...it seemed to be causing conflict with HLD4.

Get the update, it seems to be even more stable now.

when installing the update, make sure you uninstall the previous version HLD4. I also checked my C: drive and registery for any left over tidbits. Then install the update setup file. It will recreate the folders and directories needed for your projects. Make sure you have backed up your decorations, house jpg etc.

I highly recommend, change your resolution to 1024 x 768. everything seemed to flow nicely at that resolution. Even in full screen.

I use XP Home SP2. I hid all my icons, changed the desktop to black. This way you don't have any conflict when viewing the HLD interface in windowed mode...blends in nicely.

Limited on some things, great on others. Net lights and Icicle light colors come to mind. However, I was able to create a pretty good looking net light in purple and orange, using mini lights and the Decorator Wizard. I'll do the same for my custom Icicles. The Decorator Wizard can be an awesome tool, try it out sometime.

I haven't done a sequnced show set up as of yet, still trying to learn Light O Rama as well.

Hopefully, this will help some of you avoid the frustraions i was experiencing initially. At anyrate, if you have problems..don't give up. Michael is very good at working to solve them for you, as well as, other's.

Best,

David:)

i purchased it two day ago. I got an e-mail today there is allready an update. You need to uninstall 4.0 then re up load it. here is the linkhttp://holidaysoft.fileburst.com/releasev42008/setup.exe
Has anyone figured out how to make arches yet. I have 4 arches with 8 channels in each. i guess i will be playing with this tonight. I runs slow on my computer does anyone know what memory is required? I am sure I have enough but I was curious. Good luck everyone.

ok, has anybody gotten it do function correctly?

I followed the instructions to set up both programs. HLD4 says its connected, but the lights seem to be stuck "on". I'm assuming you hit play in LOR like usual?

I just downloaded HLD4 and am running the LOR version 2.0.16

OK, just a couple of questions regarding HLD4. I can't get LOR to do anything with it. I am connected according to the light bulb. Do I need to upload the HLD4 image I have created into LOR somehow? Also, the image I used of my house for HLD4 is very blurry when I zoom in on it to decorate it. I tried images taken with 6 mega pixel, 3mp, 2mp, and VGA. They all do it. Did I miss something I should have done while importing the image? I went into the animation window in LOR and looked to add my new HLD4 image, however, it is not to be seen in any folder because the file type is not bmp or jpeg.

On the play drop down menu in lor you have to click control holiday lights desiginer. this will allow lor to play the HLD4.

chowell wrote:

OK, just a couple of questions regarding HLD4. I can't get LOR to do anything with it. I am connected according to the light bulb. Do I need to upload the HLD4 image I have created into LOR somehow? Also, the image I used of my house for HLD4 is very blurry when I zoom in on it to decorate it. I tried images taken with 6 mega pixel, 3mp, 2mp, and VGA. They all do it. Did I miss something I should have done while importing the image? I went into the animation window in LOR and looked to add my new HLD4 image, however, it is not to be seen in any folder because the file type is not bmp or jpeg.

Hello,
Also very important: The device type in your LOR channels need to be assigned to "Light O Rama Controller" otherwise LOR won't send any commands to HLD.

MJC7000 wrote:

chowell wrote:

Hello,
Also very important: The device type in your LOR channels need to be assigned to "Light O Rama Controller" otherwise LOR won't send any commands to HLD.

In addition to making sure you "connect" via the HLD software and that LOR has "LOR Controller" assigned to each channel and that you have checked the "control holiday lights designer", try completing closing both applications and re-opening both applications. I had to do that after I initially installed it all and started the project. I hope this helps.

Also, I'd like to know the awnser to your image not looking all that great when you zoom in. I've been wondering the same. Michael or anyone else...can you help with this?

LOR should already be open when you open HLD. also in LOR's control panel there is an option for HDL enable/disable check that as well as under "play" in the sequencers toolbar. hope that made sense...John

Also, I'd like to know the awnser to your image not looking all that great when you zoom in. I've been wondering the same. Michael or anyone else...can you help with this?

The reason the picture gets blurry or pixelated when you zoom in is because the images are being resized as you import them to a smaller size. The reason is too save memory. The amount of memory required to render the house image is directly related to its dimensions so we don't want to just import a 1440 x 990 image. I may have gone overboard with the current tolerance so I'll make that larger. That will make the image look sharp even close up. I just need to find the right balance so the program doesn't get bogged down trying to render a very large image. Does that make sense?

Yes it does. It would be nice if maybe you adjust that setting so that we can have a fairly full screen view with a clear image. To have a clear image, the picture is pretty small on your monitor.

Just an idea: Maybe you can instruct users to only import pictures of a certain size (less than 1MB or dimension or something) and then you can adjust your program according to those instructions. I assume whether your picture is 1MB or 3M large, it won't make too much of a difference on your screen because it has to be shrunken down anyways. So instruct users to import a certain size image.

I don't know, I'm not nearly smart enough to be a programmer, but its just a thought :D I really like your software and I think it has a TON of potential. Thanks for developing it.

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but can it do multi planes? I've got a corner house with long yards on the side. Now I know I can stitched a couple together and cheat with an orthogonal approach, but was hoping for a better option.

Any ideas? possible improvement?

Multi Planes? Where were you 3 years ago? :)

Older versions of HLD had the ability to import all 4 sides of your house. Problem was a lot of people didn't use it and it ate up too much memory. With that said, I can see the LOR interface makes it much more sensible to have those kinds of features. I'll look at adding that back in once the current version stabilizes.

:dude: From The kid who is always waiting for Christmas...