Light-O-Rama Forums

Question re LOR and morphing changing lights.

David Barnett

Hi folks. Last year I bought some really cool orange/purple changing icicle lights. The have a little 8 selction speed controller on them for getting the right change speed.

I want to do a LOR Halloween show this year.

My question, with these type of lights, can I jsut turn them full ON; and the LOR will control them. Or does the controll box interefere. Hopefully not.

Thanks.

Best,

David

I'm hardly an expert, but if they are color changing, they likely have a controller built in to control the synched fading. So if they are plugged into a channel and you turn the channel on 100%, they should color change just fine, but under the control of the built in controller, not the LOR channel. I don't know what the impact to the built in controller would be if you tried turning the channel on and off quickly or used any effect other than 0% and 100%, but would be nervous to try it.

If you wanted LOR to control the color change, you might be able to cut the built in controller off and wire 2 plugs to the resulting wires, and plug 1 into each LOR channel. Now LOR would completely control both colors.

• 3 weeks later...

First, are the icicle lights LED(Light Emitting Diode)? Second, how many wires come off of the controller box, two wires in AC, how many on the output?

I have a string that color fades using LED's , the string is constructed with two wires. What the inline control box does is uses the incoming alternating current to control the colors. One color is conducts the positive half cycle, the other color conducts the negative half cycle. The inline box regulates the current on both sides of the AC sine wave to produce the colors. Example, first color is yellow, than gradually fades in blue to produce a near purple light, then fades to blue. The process repeats itself gradually fading back to yellow.

Will LOR work on this string, LOR outputs AC current on each channel, the end result would be both LED's lighting at the same time.

If the string in question has three wires and like all of the strings that are made in China, these are almost always contructed in positive common design. This is not really a problem with incadescent bulbs, but it becomes a nightmare with LED's.