Light-O-Rama Forums

Our 2018 Display!

DisneyMatt10

Well, now that 2017 is behind us... Most of us have started working on our 2018 show already!! I figured I'd go ahead and create this thread as a place for me to not only share my progress for the 2018 show throughout the year, but also as a place for me to share our 2018 videos in... You know, a YEAR when the show is finally up and running. 

Not a lot is changing, prop wise, in our show for 2018. The main things that are happening is the replacement of the spiral mega tree with a pixel tree... And we are replacing a lot of the RGB strips with pixel nodes. 

That being said, I've been working on a new song for the show for 2018... and thought I would share a "preview" of what it's going to look like! Check it out below, and any feedback you could provide me with is greatly appreciated! Thanks, and enjoy!

Well, 2017 is not quite completed - yet.  Two more nights for the show plus a request from a friend who will get a personal showing later in the week.  Most of teardown next weekend.

For me there will be a lot of changes for 2018.  My biggest quandary is because I Sequence everything in SuperStar and S5 is not ready for prime time with SuperStar integration, do I plan on staying with S4 or do I go to S5 - or a hybrid?  I have said that I need to commit to one path or the other within the next three weeks.  As a result I have not started Visualization or Preview Editor changes.

More later when I’m not trying to type this on a phone...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just placed our order for the 2018 light show. Holy crap pixel mega trees are expensive!! To change our spiral mega tree to a pixel mega tree just cost us a $3,100! :blink: Hope this hobby doesn't cause me to get a divorce!! :lol:

1 hour ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

Well, just placed our order for the 2018 light show. Holy crap pixel mega trees are expensive!! To change our spiral mega tree to a pixel mega tree just cost us a $3,100! :blink: Hope this hobby doesn't cause me to get a divorce!! :lol:

That must be one heck of a tree!  I only spent about $2,000 on mine 48x110 with 5,280 nodes

• Like 1

17 hours ago, uncledan said:

That must be one heck of a tree!  I only spent about $2,000 on mine 48x110 with 5,280 nodes

I think it's probably a pretty normal tree!! :lol: It's some where between 17-18ft tall... And covered in about 5,000 pixels... But it's all the small things that seemed to add up... The lights, the star, the lights for the star... the tree topper... the plastic mounting strips for the lights... You know... all the little things you don't think of having to spend money on when you decide this is what you want in your show. :lol:

Yes the little things add up!  I didn't see you mention power supplies.  That's another big expense.  Sounds like an awesome tree.  Will be a big project.  Redoing/increasing the size of mine this year, not sure to what yet..

Yes the little things add up!  I didn't see you mention power supplies.  That's another big expense. 

Yeah. . . Between power supplies, controllers, and enclosures (And everything related) was about $900! :wacko:

Sounds like an awesome tree.  Will be a big project. 

I sure hope it's going to be awesome!! It looks amazing in the visualizer. . . I'm just curious if it will look half as good in Real life...?

Redoing/increasing the size of mine this year, not sure to what yet..

Hmmmm... I won't be very helpful on this topic... If you ask for my advice you'd probably end up spending $5,000 you didn't even need to spend to begin with!! :lol:

7 hours ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

Yeah. . . Between power supplies, controllers, and enclosures (And everything related) was about $900! :wacko:

I sure hope it's going to be awesome!! It looks amazing in the visualizer. . . I'm just curious if it will look half as good in Real life...?

Hmmmm... I won't be very helpful on this topic... If you ask for my advice you'd probably end up spending $5,000 you didn't even need to spend to begin with!! :lol:

It will look much better in real life than it does in the visualizer!  Unfortunately the only reason I'm replacing the pixels on my tree is too many failures....  I stored them in a cargo container with no ventilation for the year... Heat killed them is my conclusion, other pixels from same batch are fine.  Not sure your plan on it but I would recommend limiting your pixels per output.  I ran my whole mega tree on 6 outputs of 880 pixels on an F16v3 and its 100% power injected.   8 strings of 110 pixels on each output, one dead pixel caused a lot of darkness... sometimes 800+ pixels on the output dark..

On 1/15/2018 at 8:48 PM, uncledan said:

...I stored them in a cargo container with no ventilation for the year... Heat killed them is my conclusion, other pixels from same batch are fine...

You know, now that you mention it... I came to the same conclusion with my pixel strips. I stored them in the attic of the house... where it gets REALLY hot in the summer time... And BOOM! Dead pixels everywhere. However, the ones that stayed in the house had no issues.... So needless to say, all pixels will be stored inside from now on.

On 1/15/2018 at 8:48 PM, uncledan said:

...Not sure your plan on it but I would recommend limiting your pixels per output...

We are limiting ours to 100 pixels per output. Our large wreath on the house has 171 pixels on it and NO color fade problems. But just to be on the safe side, (And to make things easier) we are going with 100 pixels per output on the tree. Hopefully it will work fine for us!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's still a LARGE work in progress... But here's a new preview of our 2018 Light Show!!

As always any feedback is appreciated!

• 1 month later...

So as we are working away on the 2018 show I have managed to get a somewhat moderate celebrity to agree to do all the voice over work for our Light Show!! So freaking exciting!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, this is the first of two shipments for this years show (there's about 5,000 new lights in this shot) and we still have another 3,000 to come in! :blink:

31286587_597344410630859_827504039315478

What have I done?!!

• Like 1

I did something similar 2 years ago. Make sure you have plenty of time. Takes a lot of work!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh!! Just finished sequencing the ever popular Star Wars Mashup. Holy crap, I think I finally found something more annoying to program than TSO! If I never hear that song again I'll die a happen person! (Well, at least till next year when I have to re-do it for the new lights) :blink:

• 2 months later...

Hi Matt.  I sent you a message earlier. Wondering if you’d be willing to share your Star Wars sequence. If so I would greatly appreciate it!!!!

boobeagle@gmail.com

• 1 month later...

Well, it took me nearly a year... But I JUST finished programming Pentatonix Hallelujah for this year's light show!! I tried to do it last year but couldn't get to it!! And it has taken me this long because I kept doing one thing, and not liking how it turned out... So I kept changing it... and finally it is freaking AMAZING!!!! So excited!!! :)

20 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Where's the video?

*Coming Soon*

I still haven't even got the lights on the house yet! :(