Light-O-Rama Forums

Super strands vs Pixels

KeysNole

As we attempt to move on to "bigger and better" every year, we believe our next step is color changes to the lights on the house-green for the Grinch, cool white for Frozen and Frosty, etc. Our ribbon tree is the centerpiece of the home, but we are also moving toward coro cutouts. We like the mix of old and new.

All lights are from HLE. The verticals are M5 and roof are C3.  We have C9s outlining everything. The lights on the roof are duct taped every few feet (this is the only method we have found to work.)

Would pixels be the best choice moving forward? Would they give off enough light for the roof? Would pixels have to be installed with a net, or can we use our current method? We don't want to lose the "pop" the lights give us. We aren't as interested in effects as we are the ability to change colors when and where we want.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

house.jpg

I would say do you want to eventually do more interesting effects on roof(pixels), or just full color change ability(super strings). It is truly up to you which you would prefer. I would say put a pro-con list together for both and go from there. If in a few years you might want to do rainbow effects pixels might be better. But I can also see where you might just want color change (ss) could be good. Also think about the sequencing differences when choosing which way you go.

I am with you...I think the ability to do something is valuable, even if it is later on. In the long run the cost would probably be a wash. Power supply with the pixels may be an issue.

I am admittedly not a sequencing guy, but have started to look into the effects and possibilities of pixels. I just don't know if they will give off enough light for our roof like the C3s do.

4 minutes ago, KeysNole said:

I am with you...I think the ability to do something is valuable, even if it is later on. In the long run the cost would probably be a wash. Power supply with the pixels may be an issue.

I am admittedly not a sequencing guy, but have started to look into the effects and possibilities of pixels. I just don't know if they will give off enough light for our roof like the C3s do.

I use a mix in my show and pixels are as bright as you want them to be, IMO it is all about the pixel you use and the mounting.

I was amazed at the brightness of the strips the first time I turned on our ribbon tree. I ended up having to limit the intensity through the controller to around 20%. 

Our pixel tree I ended up running at around 70%.

otherwise those two props were too bright for the rest of the show and it drowned everything else out.

Edited by whyintheworld

On 12/22/2017 at 1:12 PM, KeysNole said:

Would pixels be the best choice moving forward? Would they give off enough light for the roof? Would pixels have to be installed with a net, or can we use our current method? We don't want to lose the "pop" the lights give us. We aren't as interested in effects as we are the ability to change colors when and where we want.

I think pixels are always the best choice for anyone looking to move on to "Bigger and better!" While right now you may not be interested in effects... Once you see how much you can do with them your life will change!!! I was one of those who swore I would never do effects in my show, and I wanted to always keep traditional LED lights... and do RGB the "hard way!" That being said, I love the endless opportunities that pixels provide, so for 2018 about 90% of our show will be transitioned over to pixels! 

If I were you, I would use a pixel matrix for the pixels on the roof. It will make them easier to put up, take down, and store! 

"Would they give off enough light for the roof?" --- YES!!! Pixel are VERY bright... Too bright (for our liking) most of the time, so we run our show on 50% brightness, and it's still PLENTY bright!! 

Hope this helps a little!!