Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX to LOR RGBW Moving heads

Eaglesclaw

8 minutes ago, Ed K said:

Can you tell us the exact rotating heads you're using for testing the concept?  Also, are you using  XLR cables, which I believe is required to get signals to the heads

Thes are the heads: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pcs-Moving-Head-DMX-RGBW-50W-Stage-Light-Effect-Fixture-Lighting-Beam-11-13CH/322562113570?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

These are the ends I used to make my Own cables: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-MALE-FEMALE-set-XLR-3pin-DMX-MIC-microphone-cable-cord-plug-jack-10-CONNECTORS/371000261731?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 I used CAT5 cables and they work great.

The heads do come with a cable to daisy chain the heads.

Jerry

Edited by Eaglesclaw

Eaglesclaw, 

I'm changing subjects a bit from moving heads on Ethernet network (and E1.31 controllers) to moving heads on LOR's proprietary network.  I apologize in advance if folks already knew this from earlier posts.

LOR's iDMX 1000 ( http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/iDMX-1000_Man_Web.pdf )  can be used on LOR's proprietary network to run DMX moving heads.  I may be repeating a video already posted, but the link below is to a video showing a moving head controlled from LOR's Test Console.  I use the Test Console quite a bit for my LOR CCRs, and it works great for testing.  So, there is light at the end of the tunnel if anyone wants to run DMX moving heads on their LOR network.  Again, I'd rather run the moving heads on my Ethernet network on which I connect all my E1.31 controllers. But, this is an alternative.

Here's the link to the LOR moving head demo:  

I have my heads attached to a LOR RS 485 adaptor on a separate com port with an XLR connector on the head end.

They are configured as a dmx universe, and control just fine from S4 sequence editor simultaneously with my E 1.31 universes and LOR controllers.

I am also able to control them from the pixel controller of the Hardware Utility while the SE is open, which is handy for finding the exact DMX values which work best.

If you need any more detail I will be happy to share more info.

Thanks, Phil.  I'll take you up on your offer of advise, as I get more comfortable with moving heads and XLR connectors.

Your use of the Test Console is an excellent application -- determining what the DMX values are for an exact position (tilt and pan) of a moving head.  I use the Console quite a bit to test every pixel on my CCRs that I have inside clear tubing frames I built for a number of windows (one CCR per window).

On one of my E1.31 controllers, I connect a DMX dumb controller to the E1.31 controller's DMX port.  So I understand that much of the chain.  I'm using the DMX dumb controller to control some floods.

To run a moving head on LOR's network (assuming I have Network Preferences set up correctly), I think I need to run Cat 5 from one for my LOR CCR controllers to the iDMX 1000,  and then run an XLR connector from the iDMX 1000 to the first moving head.  Does that sound generally correct?

I think you can do it that way, but I don't have an IDMX, so I am just using a standard speed LOR dongle connected to Com 3 with an RJ45 to XLR cable I made myself.It does not seem to take many PC resources even though the PC is doing the work rather than an IDMX adaptor.

I myself am not familiar with iDMX1000 but the ones I've seen online are fairly expensive. I hook up the cat5 cable to my DMX connector on my E1.31 board and then soldered the other end to the xlr plug. Connected that to the first light then Daisy chained from there.

I went the wireless route for mine. I bought the ActiDongle from HC and the wireless receiver/transmitter unit from Amazon. Links below.

Enttec-Pro-Compatible-DMX-Dongle

DMX512-Wireless-Receiver-Transmitter-Compact

The Actidongle with transmitter antenna runs from a HS485 adapter on it's own network (Comm7) connected to the show pc to a receiver antenna hooked to a Chauvet Swarm5 (A DMX laser, led light, strobe combo unit), then from there it is daisy chained with cables to the 2 moving head lights. The distance from the show pc to the Swarm5 is roughly 125 feet. (No cables :) I notice no lag whatsoever, the lasers, led, and strobes and moving head lights all fire/move on que with the music. (sequencing)

The down side of the moving head lights is that if they are not powerful enough, they can/will get washed out from all the other lights in the display. How/when you use them in important to get around this.

Alan...

3 hours ago, Eaglesclaw said:

I myself am not familiar with iDMX1000 but the ones I've seen online are fairly expensive. I hook up the cat5 cable to my DMX connector on my E1.31 board and then soldered the other end to the xlr plug. Connected that to the first light then Daisy chained from there.

Wiring?

White/Orange –> DMX+

Orange –>  DMX-

Blue -->  GND

10 hours ago, Ed K said:

Wiring?

White/Orange –> DMX+

Orange –>  DMX-

Blue -->  GND

Not if you’re talking about DMX over Cat-5 cable.  The ground is pin 7 (white / brown) not pin 4 (blue).  

I have two moving heads running through actidongle 2.  The LOR test console does not work for me because I am going thru the actidongle2.  I have mounted the heads upside down under my garage door frames (I added a plate with thumb screws to the bottom of easy removal) and determined the dmx values based on resting position and where I want the beams to point.  Different low cost heads have different channel configurations.  i.e. 9/11 vs. 11/13.  Trial and error seems to work best in the SE.  If the values of dmx are low, they are very hard to see in the SE, using ramps or not.  I found that the random color setting and random or auto GOBO setting gets me through many sequencing decisions.  Patterns for sequencing do seem to appear the more you sequence.  I believe it would be extremely hard to share sequences for moving head sequencing due to the variety of channel configurations out there.  BTW, most of the low end ebay moving heads are only a 10w led and the beam angle is wide as you get farther away.  Also they don't move well in the real cold.  As I found out. 

https://youtu.be/NQx2Qfo5t9U

Edited by Crimson Lane Lights Etown
finally added link to head test video