Light-O-Rama Forums

lagging on my show

ferrer light show

hi every one i started playing with light o rama last year with 16 ac controller and ump3 mini director kit and this year i add couple of pixei 16 and they work great thank to the guys for guidance from jr and james morris,  but this year i decided to use my loptop to run my shoe coz im having problem with my mini director  after everything is all up and running  i notice that everytime the polar express start playing i notice a lagging on the show so i decide to change my computer and got me a desktop with a good processor and a dedicated video card and try it today and still everytime polar express play still have a little bit of lagging, pls. need help to figure this out  thanks every one, god bless and happy holiday to all ..... 

A couple things to check.

what is the file size

you can also run sequence through the verifier to check it out.  Last check your audio file.  A glitchy audio file can cause problems 

The file size is 275MB I try to read n it to verifier message 28 audio seems to be very good but I can tan it to audiocity just to make sure 

You said you added a couple Pixies.  How many total channels and what is your network speed.  Lag is usually a result of network congestion.

I only have 3 controller  2 controller in pixie 16 and 1 16 ac controller 

Edited by ferrer light show

Again, how many channels are you driving (that you have two Pixie 16 controllers does not answer the question), and more important, what network speed are you using?

16 channel for ac controller

19channel on the pixie 16 for pixel tree and pixel star by 50 nodes per string so i think that’s a total of 950 channel on the pixie 

using rs485hs 

all in same network

i check the network preference and it was showing 57.6k (recommended)

That's your problem! 

First a little terminology.  Each physical output port on a Pixie is an output or port, NOT a channel.  A single port may have many hundreds of channels.

If you are running 50 pixel strings on each output, there are 150 channels (three per pixel) in use on each port.  That means you have 2,850 channels on the Pixies plus 16 channels on the CTB16 for a total of 2,866 channels.  That is MASSIVELY too many for a 56K LOR network!!!!!!

Back in the old days, the standard recommendation was 900 channels on a 115K network (the fastest speed at the time).  Since then, LOR developed 500K and later 1000K network speeds, and also enhanced networking.  Each of these increased channel capacity.  IF your CTB16 is a Gen3 version (status LED will be green rather then red) and if the CTB16 has current firmware, you can increase your network to 500K speed and your problem should go away.  You said you already have the Red high speed USB to RS-485 adapter, so you're good there..  If you find that the CTB16 wont work at 500K speed, try 115K speed, but that would leave you with about three times as many channels as recommended for a 115K network.

Edited by k6ccc

Yeah you ate right I do have 19 ports by 50 nodes by 3 channel each so a total of 2850 plus 16 channel on ac controller 

and yes I went through my network preference and change 57.6k to 500k and it seems to work well just need to test it during the night and see if that change really make a lot of deference thank you and god bless always 

The only real issue was if your CTB16 could handle 500K speed.  Sounds like it could, and that should make things far better!

Glad I could help.