Light-O-Rama Forums

SS upgrade $100?

Dcroc

Brian Bruderer responded... I had the config incorrect on the two that were not working. 

His response was so quick and I am convinced that though the license for SS isn’t cheap,  it is worth it. 

20 minutes ago, zeighty said:

Brian Bruderer responded... I had the config incorrect on the two that were not working. 

His response was so quick and I am convinced that though the license for SS isn’t cheap,  it is worth it. 

Yes, Brian is on top of assisting with problems. All you have to do is ask.

Glad you got it sorted out. Configuration is 90% of most problems with pixels and controllers.

JR

Sorry, but I feel I am being charged a professional rate for what is now considered a novice, almost entry level upgrade. Even $50 for this upgrade would be a bit much, but way more acceptable.  I could see an upgrade from 16 strips being considered a pro upgrade,  but 16 is pretty basic these days, and the proggie is almost useless without it.  I am still  wrestling with what I am gonna do.  Put on top of that,  the fact that S5  is so drastic a change from 4,  and file formats created just last year are now abandoned, has me considering other options.

2 hours ago, Dcroc said:

Sorry, but I feel I am being charged a professional rate for what is now considered a novice, almost entry level upgrade. Even $50 for this upgrade would be a bit much, but way more acceptable.  I could see an upgrade from 16 strips being considered a pro upgrade,  but 16 is pretty basic these days, and the proggie is almost useless without it.  I am still  wrestling with what I am gonna do.  Put on top of that,  the fact that S5  is so drastic a change from 4,  and file formats created just last year are now abandoned, has me considering other options.

I understand how you feel.  We all have our values and what is important to us. The free software did not fit into my work flow due to other commitments.  The reason it did not fit is the learning curve was too steep for me, especially when 90% of my show is still AC lights. I do not want to imply the program isn't really good.  It is, just so many stumbling blocks for me.  

With that said, you appear to be a lot further along than me and probably don't need the assistance I have been provided.  Perhaps I too will feel that way once I get some experience and want upgrade beyond my 24CCR license, but for now I am very pleased that I got direction and advice directly from the developer.  That is rare and I do computer support (corporate related) for a living. If Adobe or Microsoft would give me that kind of support I would be one happy camper.  

I hope you have resolution soon.   

7 hours ago, Dcroc said:

Sorry you feel that way.  Maybe we should let you pay for some REAL Professional software and then you won't think SuperStar is all that bad.  Last upgrade on some of the stuff at work was over $100 grand.  Another package was $35,000.  Even AutoCAD was over $4,000 when they stopped selling it - now it's only available as a subscription for $1,470 per year.

SuperStar in my opinion is worth every penny.  And I put my money where my mouth is - I upgraded a few weeks ago from 6,000 channels to 9,000 channels (I'll need that next year).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Sorry you feel that way.  Maybe we should let you pay for some REAL Professional software and then you won't think SuperStar is all that bad.  Last upgrade on some of the stuff at work was over $100 grand.  Another package was $35,000.  Even AutoCAD was over $4,000 when they stopped selling it - now it's only available as a subscription for $1,470 per year.SuperStar

Please,  I am a sound engineer.     I know what the cost is.  My opinion is far from uninformed.  

I'm as cheap as the next person and I don't blame anyone for wanting to use a less expensive option. And having some competition is healthy.

I should comment, that Light-O-Rama has pretty much left the pricing up to me, so blame me, not Light-O-Rama. When you purchase a software license most of the payment comes to me. Light-O-Rama only keeps enough to pay their costs of distribution etc.

The current pricing allows me to work full time doing programming and support of the software. Particularly at this time of the year I am able to spend most of my time answering emails, phone calls, and help desk tickets with the goal of making sure everyone gets their lights working. I couldn't do that if this was a part time job.

But I will readily concede that in this day and age a lot of software is free so the superstar pricing seems high. My goal is to give good enough support and development of the software to merit the price.

• Like 2

As I mentioned before at one point I was disappointed at the cost, but after the time I had with  a popular open source / free application, I am on board with the LOR pricing. The one hour response I got from you on a forum post was such a positive experience.  Now that you have been open and given full disclosure (full enough for me) you have solidified my opinion. I never liked being referred to a FB page for support and I was rarely provide the help needed. 

My investment in the 24CCR upgrade (and s4 Pro) was money well spent. I am only using 12 strings for this year’s show, so I have some growing room. Now, I am off my soapbox and will no longer comment on sss or any LOR software pricing. 

Have a Merry Christmas to all. 

It isn't the over all price of SS I have an issue with.  It is just the price of the single upgrade from 4 ccr to 16.  I could see where above 16 could be considered more a pro level,  but 16 is pretty basic these days.  The upgrade shouldn't cost as much (I think it is actually more) as the initial price of the software.  I am doing pretty basic entry level consumer/hobby stuff,  not making a living off it.  In some cases, I just want to export .sup files to SE.  An additional $100 just to do that seems a bit much.  I am going to end up purchasing the upgrade, but it has made me hesitate more than I did when I originally bought the proggie.  To be honest.  a $100  tag on the basic 2 ccr level, and then $50 to upgrade would make more sense to me than $50 basic and then a $100 upgrade to make it useful.

Edited by Dcroc

Brian's support is well worth every $$..  I've been with SS before it was part of LOR.  Brian has always responded and resolved any issues I've had with SS.
Merry Christmas Everyone and Especially to Brian and his family!

Well, I upgraded to 16, but when I enter the reg number is SE in only upgraded to 8.  Not a great start after debating to spend the money a week before Christmas.

Edited by Dcroc

The 16CCR license was added last summer. Only 4.3.24 or 4.3.26 recognize it. You can download 4.3.26 by going to www.lightorama.com and clicking on "Sequencing" then click on "Download Software". On the page that appears, scroll down a bit and there will be two buttons, you can click on "Download Software from main site" or "Download Software from alternate site". After getting the latest version you should see 16CCR at the top of the superstar program.

33 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

Am II also to understand that the upgrade also renews my LOR license?

Yes it does.

Downloading the software gets the latest bug fixes and features, but it does not renew or register the LOR license. In this case the license was recognized because the new version recognizes the new 16CCR license level.

But when you purchase an upgrade to your license level you need to re-register your license by launching the sequence editor and then clicking on the Help menu and select "upgrade light-o-rama"