• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Capt_Bill_USMC

• arnolddeleon

• Mr. P

• TheDucks

5 minutes ago, arnolddeleon said:

I would swap string on output 16 with another output (e.g. 15) see if the problem follow the output or the string. 

The other thing you can do is use the AlphaPhix test util on the board to see if the string works with local control.  That will rule out hardware versus configuration issues.

Thank you.  I will do that!

The COM port is either missing or busy (open by another application).   If you move the USB adapter to another port, it may have re-assigned the COM port.   Run the Hardware Utility and have it auto search for the COM port. 

2 minutes ago, Capt_Bill_USMC said:

Ok, just tried to do a show and got the attached error.  Anyone have any ideas?

LOR Show Error.JPG

2 minutes ago, jtomason said:

The COM port is either missing or busy (open by another application).   If you move the USB adapter to another port, it may have re-assigned the COM port.   Run the Hardware Utility and have it auto search for the COM port. 

Thanks!  I guess I cannot simply run a show on my tree to test it out?  I am getting a comm port error when I open hardware utility.  I guess I have to have the entire network on/connected to test the tree?

It is possible to run a test.  I would set the LOR network serial ports to "none".  You will only be able to drive stuff on the E1.31 (DMX over Ethernet).

I just tested this and works.

9 minutes ago, arnolddeleon said:

It is possible to run a test.  I would set the LOR network serial ports to "none".  You will only be able to drive stuff on the E1.31 (DMX over Ethernet).

I just tested this and works.

Ok, thanks.  I just pulled it up.  This is what I am seeing on the attachment.

Comm Port Error.JPG

2 minutes ago, arnolddeleon said:

Just ignore that error if just want to test the pixels.  Click OK and go to the Pixel console.

Thanks for your help.  It is not working.  I've already tested my lights using the pixel console.  Now, I am trying to run a text show using a sequence.  But, I am only wanting to test the tree.  I may have to wait until I get everything plugged back in again.  I disconnected everything when my Ethernet caught fire.  I did verify that none of my controllers burned up in the process.  It was just the Ethernet.  So, I will try to run a test once I hook everything back up.  Was just hoping to run a show on my tree to try it out.

Thanks again!

Thanks to everyone who helped out.  This was huge.  I'd still be sitting here, if it weren't for you all!

You should be able to use the pixel editor or the run a show with just the pixel tree on the computer that only has Ethernet and the not serial.  

You've verified the that computer can talk to the controller and pixels w/ the hardware controller so we know that you have the basic connectivity setup.

When you were testing, were you using Pixel Editor or were you running a show?  If you were using Pixel Editor make sure you have "control lights" turned on.  It's an easy mistake. 

The next place we need to look is the prop definition for the pixel tree in the your preview.  Can you share what that looks like?  The channel configuration here needs to map the configuration that you setup in the network preferences.

arnold

7 hours ago, arnolddeleon said:

You should be able to use the pixel editor or the run a show with just the pixel tree on the computer that only has Ethernet and the not serial.  

You've verified the that computer can talk to the controller and pixels w/ the hardware controller so we know that you have the basic connectivity setup.

When you were testing, were you using Pixel Editor or were you running a show?  If you were using Pixel Editor make sure you have "control lights" turned on.  It's an easy mistake. 

The next place we need to look is the prop definition for the pixel tree in the your preview.  Can you share what that looks like?  The channel configuration here needs to map the configuration that you setup in the network preferences.

arnold

While I was testing I was using the hardware utility.  Then, once I confirmed all was good, I used the Simple Show builder, then went into the control panel and told it to do a show on demand.  And, that is when I got the error. 

I am not familiar with prop definition. I think I know what you mean by preview, but I am not sure how the 16CCR tree from HC is defined.

54 minutes ago, Capt_Bill_USMC said:

While I was testing I was using the hardware utility.  Then, once I confirmed all was good, I used the Simple Show builder, then went into the control panel and told it to do a show on demand.  And, that is when I got the error. 

I am not familiar with prop definition. I think I know what you mean by preview, but I am not sure how the 16CCR tree from HC is defined.

Make sure that the HU and SE and all is closed when you go to do a Show on Demand as only one program can use the comm port at a time. You will also get that error if something else is opened using the comm port.

**Tip** Instead of running a show to test you can also just play the sequence in SE and whatever props are connected will light up.

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

Make sure that the HU and SE and all is closed when you go to do a Show on Demand as only one program can use the comm port at a time. You will also get that error if something else is opened using the comm port.

**Tip** Instead of running a show to test you can also just play the sequence in SE and whatever props are connected will light up.

Ok, that's the problem.  I haven't had time to connect props or anything like that. The way that I preview my shows since last Christmas is to do one and then run it for real outside.  I know that is the hard way, but I haven't had time to learn how to set things up the way you mentioned and I find it takes a long time to draw your props.  What am I missing?

8 minutes ago, Capt_Bill_USMC said:

Ok, that's the problem.  I haven't had time to connect props or anything like that. The way that I preview my shows since last Christmas is to do one and then run it for real outside.  I know that is the hard way, but I haven't had time to learn how to set things up the way you mentioned and I find it takes a long time to draw your props.  What am I missing?

Understand, I  am just saying that you don't have to create a show to see if everything is working. You can just open any sequence and play that sequence and it will play like a show.

There is of course the Visualizer that you can learn to use or if you just want very basic then there is the Animator. Both will let you see how the lights will work once you create a new sequence.

10 hours ago, Capt_Bill_USMC said:

Thanks!  I guess I cannot simply run a show on my tree to test it out?  I am getting a comm port error when I open hardware utility.  I guess I have to have the entire network on/connected to test the tree?

This is a fail Opening the port prior to a show.  You only need 1 LOR adapter to succeed finding a controller.

Always install LOR RS485 adapter software BEFORE ever plugging  one in otherwise, the adapter gets bound to a specific USB slot (this is standard Windows operation to avoid Plug and Pray :P )

If you have done this correctly, you can plug that adapter into any USB slot and the COM # stays the same   <bulb> Write a COM#or  LOR network Channel  on the adapter</bulb>

2 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

This is a fail Opening the port prior to a show.  You only need 1 LOR adapter to succeed finding a controller.

Always install LOR RS485 adapter software BEFORE ever plugging  one in otherwise, the adapter gets bound to a specific USB slot (this is standard Windows operation to avoid Plug and Pray :P )

If you have done this correctly, you can plug that adapter into any USB slot and the COM # stays the same   <bulb> Write a COM#or  LOR network Channel  on the adapter</bulb>

Thank you.  I've already installed all that and I have tested my regular LOR controllers.  I am redoing the tree because my laptop's Ethernet port shorted out so I had to switch computers and set up my CCR tree all over again.  I had everything disconnected, except the tree and I just wanted to try the tree out to make sure I wasn't missing anything.  I know all works well with hardware utility, but I am trying to make sure that my sequences are working and that I set up my channels correctly in LOR.

7 minutes ago, Capt_Bill_USMC said:

Thank you.  I've already installed all that and I have tested my regular LOR controllers.  I am redoing the tree because my laptop's Ethernet port shorted out so I had to switch computers and set up my CCR tree all over again.  I had everything disconnected, except the tree and I just wanted to try the tree out to make sure I wasn't missing anything.  I know all works well with hardware utility, but I am trying to make sure that my sequences are working and that I set up my channels correctly in LOR.

HU will tell you what things are Currently  (unless you only have 1 adapter for your show, never click the USE this for show button. That assigns the current HU selection to Regular, which may not be true for the show with multiple adapters.

Now look at your sequence and see what they had USED for a Network  (Regular is the default assignment, but you will have changed that if you have multiple networks)

11 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

HU will tell you what things are Currently  (unless you only have 1 adapter for your show, never click the USE this for show button. That assigns the current HU selection to Regular, which may not be true for the show with multiple adapters.

Now look at your sequence and see what they had USED for a Network  (Regular is the default assignment, but you will have changed that if you have multiple networks)

Thanks!  I'll just hook everything back up tonight and see if I can get it to work.  If it doesn't then my CCR tree will just stay constant green and it will become the most expensive steady led tree out there.  If I had known DMX would be this hard, I would've stuck with basic LOR.