Light-O-Rama Forums

One more question...

Ponddude

I know, I know, I know....people keep asking about this, and I am going to be no different.

So I got my controllers today from the sale. I got some DC boards as well this time. I am just stumped for some reason when it comes to getting the power supply for this. I have two boards, but they will both be the same when it comes to what they are powering. Each channel will have one single MR16 LED spotlight I got from wirekat. I know thats 12vdc, but I get confused with the amps. So basically my set up is 16 MR16's total for the controller.

What power supply should I get?

Greg

Those LED's draw approximately 0.2A each. So you need 12VDC at 0.2x amps. If you have all 32 channels populated each with one lamp, that would be 6.4A. Since it is always good not to run your supply at the limits, I'd recommend looking for something in the 7.5-10A capacity.. You can also look for true 12VDC supplies, or even 13.8V supplies intended to use mobile electronics at home. There are quite a range of options out there. You might see if you have a local surplus electronics shop.

- Kevin

I have used a full regulated 10 amp 12VDC power supply for a CCTV system found here at a place that sales CCTV systems and security systems.