Light-O-Rama Forums

Daisy chained status blinking

stawski88

Hi. I have four LOR 16 channel controllers. The first is connected wirelessly to my CPU, then second connected to controller one via cat5, and three is connected to two via cat5, four connected to three via cat5. HU can find controllers one and two, but cannot find three and four. Status lights in three and four are blinking. Any suggestions? First year using three and four, successful with one and two last year.

Thanks!

J

7 minutes ago, Brian Mitchell said:

What level of LOR are you using?

Brian is looking for your software license level. Basic advanced pro etc.

I believe basic. I think I found the problem. Controller two wasn't sending a signal to three. Thankfully, I have an extra controller and swapped two. Now all four are found. Testing to continue.

If you look at the screen capture below, you can see after the version number (4.3.24 when I did this capture) is my license level - Pro

License_Level.png

You said you have a Basic level license.  A basic level license can only control controllers with ID numbers 01 and 02.  Assuming your two additional controllers are not duplicating the IDs of the first two, you will need to upgrade your software license to at least Basic Plus.  See this page for license level comparison:

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-software/

As for your original problem.  I don't know if the two controller ID limit on your Basic controller will limit the Hardware Utility ability to scan for additional controllers, but even if it does, I don't think that is your issue.  Generally when people report a problem similar to yours, this issue is either a bad Cat-5 cable, a bad RJ-45 jack on a controller, or a plug not fully seated.  Take a careful look at the 8 little wires in the jacks on the second and third controllers.  Often people find one of the little wires has been pushed out of position (it's generally really obvious when this happens).  A very small hook can usually get it moved back in position.  Also visually inspect the cable and connectors.  If you have a cable tester, that is even better.  Lacking that, a little trial and error of moving cables around between the controllers can help identify the problem.  Note that the physical order of controllers makes no difference.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

If you look at the screen capture below, you can see after the version number (4.3.24 when I did this capture) is my license level - Pro

License_Level.png

You said you have a Basic level license.  A basic level license can only control controllers with ID numbers 01 and 02.  Assuming your two additional controllers are not duplicating the IDs of the first two, you will need to upgrade your software license to at least Basic Plus.  See this page for license level comparison:

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-software/

As for your original problem.  I don't know if the two controller ID limit on your Basic controller will limit the Hardware Utility ability to scan for additional controllers, but even if it does, I don't think that is your issue.  Generally when people report a problem similar to yours, this issue is either a bad Cat-5 cable, a bad RJ-45 jack on a controller, or a plug not fully seated.  Take a careful look at the 8 little wires in the jacks on the second and third controllers.  Often people find one of the little wires has been pushed out of position (it's generally really obvious when this happens).  A very small hook can usually get it moved back in position.  Also visually inspect the cable and connectors.  If you have a cable tester, that is even better.  Lacking that, a little trial and error of moving cables around between the controllers can help identify the problem.  Note that the physical order of controllers makes no difference.

Thanks for the help. It is a Pro license. 

I am good now. It was the RJ-45 Jack on my controller. I replaced the controller with a spare I have and am up and running. I will take a look at the Jack this evening and see if I can fix it...would love to add another controller next year.