Light-O-Rama Forums

Shorten 5mm LED light strings?

FrankRizzo

Is it possible to shorten a 5mm led string?  If so, can I also splice in additional sections (ie: different color bulbs for different sections)? Don't think the bulbs can be removed, so thinking splice in. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, FrankRizzo said:

Is it possible to shorten a 5mm led string?  If so, can I also splice in additional sections (ie: different color bulbs for different sections)? Don't think the bulbs can be removed, so thinking splice in. Thanks. 

Not really. (assumes these are AC plug type strings)..  Each bulb drops  voltage  (120V/# ).  You would need to calculate a new (or added) resistor value based upon the line current, to drop the voltage from the missing LEDS. (remember to INSULATE ans seal the connections. LINE VOLTAGES are present.  Bulb caps are simpler.

really long strings are really 2 strings and have another current limiter. those are the only ones easily split in half (find the place with only 2 wires: Split at the place just after it leaves the PLUGGED end section

I chose the DUMB 12V RGB  (or single color) and CMB24 route. (channels can be used a singles or RGB triples). This allow any length strings (up to 4A) per channel (while staying under 30A for the bank)

On 11/30/2017 at 7:34 AM, FrankRizzo said:

Yes it is! I have done that with some of my yard prop's that I converted over to led's and I also made custom lengths of icilce lights for my eves. You basically start over with a string set. You will need to make a rectifer and then figure out what resistance you will need for the correct current for the new led string you make or modify.

This is the article I basically followed and about the 4th post down is a string builder pdf file: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?24777-Cutting-LED-Light-Strands

Hope this helps

Wayne

Edited by Wayne K