Light-O-Rama Forums

Question about importing channel info

bhays

I have a sequence on my desktop machine where I have input 272 channels and done my animation window.

I forgot to get the file from the desktop and was out of town today with my laptop. I went ahead and made a new channel config and input all of my dmx fixtures, 192 channels of config.

Obviously, there are no overlapping channels/controllers... all the lor controllers are on the desktop and all the dmx channels are on the laptop. If I export the channel config of the dmx stuff from the notebook and import it into the 272 channels on the desktop, will it just append to the channel config or overwrite it?

Thought I should ask before I lost several hours work.

Thanks!

If you insert x numbers of channels at the top of the configuration and then import the other configuration in, it will go into the blank channels at the top and effectively merge the two.

Randy

Randy wrote:

If you insert x numbers of channels at the top of the configuration and then import the other configuration in, it will go into the blank channels at the top and effectively merge the two.

Randy

Controllers 1-17 are in the desktop file
The idmx is numbered 30-3C

So, should I add blank channels to the dmx file and then import the other, or the other way around?

Start with the file where you want those channels to be on the "bottom", add the new channels above and import the other file. Imports always go to the top channels....

Randy

Randy wrote:

Start with the file where you want those channels to be on the "bottom", add the new channels above and import the other file. Imports always go to the top channels....

Randy

I am not sure I am understanding the top and bottom terminology.

by on the bottom, do you mean numerically higher numbered channels?

I was referring to the sequence as opened up in the Sequence Editor. Of course, you can make channel assignments in any order, but I was referring to the channels at the top of the sequence as being at "the top".....

Randy

Randy wrote:

I was referring to the sequence as opened up in the Sequence Editor. Of course, you can make channel assignments in any order, but I was referring to the channels at the top of the sequence as being at "the top".....

Randy

I am sure it's my own lack of understanding causing the communication problem here.

Is this what I should do?

1) Open up the sequence with the 17 LOR controllers 1-17 already entered in.
2) Go into the channel grid and add 192 channels, will go at the bottom
3) Import the channel config file containing the dmx controllers 30-3C
4) Profit

No problem, glad to help.....It's always hard trying to describe this stuff, but here goes....

-------------------

Is this what I should do?

1) Open up the sequence with the 17 LOR controllers 1-17 already entered in.
2) Go into the channel grid and add 192 channels, will go at the bottom

(Actually, you should add all new channels at the top of the sequence, because doing a config import will populate starting from the top down, so you want those at the top to be the new or blank channels.)

3) Import the channel config file containing the dmx controllers 30-3C
4) Profit

Randy

So how do you get it to add the new channels at the top. When I add new channels, it always puts them at the bottom. Then when I import, it overwrites my existing channels and leaves all the new blank channels still at the end?

hobbes wrote:

Right-click the first channel in the sequence and choose "Insert Multiple Channels Above".

tom.

Bless you sir. I have done that many times, not sure what I was thinking. I kept trying to add the channels in the channel property grid...

Thanks a million!! I was really pulling my hair out on that one!