Light-O-Rama Forums

Not Understanding iDMX needs

Brad

I have some info on the iDMX and have read through it, and understand using the channel's percentages to get the light(s) to the desired color and I understand the the idmx needing to be in line with the controllers. I guess the part I'm not understanding right is the channel vs controller issue. Right now I have 64 channels (4x 1602w), so in my sequence I have 64 channels configured. If I get a iDMX 1000 unit, all I need to do is set aside (controller wise) the number of channels equal to the number of Chauvet spots. In my sequence I will need to set aside the number of channels needed to power a Chauvet spot, and three additional channels to create the colors of the spot. Is that correct?

yes -you create a "controller" - 16 channel block -that corellates to the address of your DMX devices.

If your first spot uses 4 DMX channels and you have three, you would only need one block.

Assuming you use the default setting (E0), and the spots are addressed sequentially, 1-4 5-8 9-12, then you would only need to create the E0 controller with channels 1-16.

on a side note- just remember to set the controller to an hex boundry. Though it is not necessary, but when an upgrade happens it will help alleviate any problems

Hope that helps - you are on the right track

I know I’m asking the same question again, but in a different way. I just want to make sure I get it right before I spend the money. So, as an example, if I only had one controller with only one open channel left, I could run one Chauvet Colorsplash Jr., being that the one open channel would supply the power to it. I would use the one open channel in the sequence for power but add four channels to the sequence that would control the color wash, strobe , etc…

are your colorsplashes connected to a lor controller for power? I'm a little confused by the one channel on the controller. I leave my units plugged into constant power to keep the fan running and the critters out

If power is controlled by a standard controller then yes, it woul look something like this

unit01.16 -lor 1602 - power

unit E0.01 -iDMX Colorsplash01 - color wash

unitE0.02 -iDMX Colorsplash01 - strobe

unitE0.03 -iDMX Colorsplash01 - another function

and so on

in the sequence Unit01.16 would be on constantly, and the other dmx channels would adjust to the desired effect.

If you do turn off the fixture just remember to factor in reboot time for your sequences

The Colorsplash JR's have the added bonus that you can daisy-chain the power from one to another. Consequently, you could plug JR #1 into the wall and then daisy-chain #'s 2,3,etc.

You would then connect them all to the LOR iDMX with XLR (DMX) communication cable. You could run dozens in line and control them individually or in groups depending on how you set the DMX addresses.

Doing it this way will not consume a single channel off your 16-Channel controller.

I actually don’t have any of the Jr. Spots. I have been looking at them as I want to be able to have the wash/color change look in my display. And, I just assumed you would have them plugged into the controller so they would not be running all day or need some other timer to turn them on or off. I just want to get it all figured out before investing the money.

But now I have to ask. Do you leave your Jr. spots running constantly, meaning during the show only or constantly day and night while the display is up. Like I said above I just assumed the lor channel would power up the spot at the start of the show and off at the end.

And with what derrick said I would only need one channel for multiple spots.

You can leave power to them continously. If they are set to DMX mode and are not receiving a DMX signal, they remain off.

I should mention that if you are going to daisy chain them together for power, then you must use the included daisy chain power cord which has special plugs. This limits how far apart the lights can be. The cord isn't very long, maybe five feet if I remember right. I have a couple in my basement. If it is important to know exactly, let me know and I'll measure them.

Lastly, the colors on these are great, but if you are going to light up something big, like a house, you will need quite a few to get a complete wash. Otherwise you will have localized spots of color.

I understand the light will not be lit unless there is a sequence command, but you also mentioned running the fan. Does this run 24/7 or do you turn off the power to the unit during the day?

Dr. Jones mentioned the fan early in the thread. I think he was referring to the fans on Chauvet moving spots such at the Intimidators or Q-Spots. I think this is also why he mentioned the reboot time as these fixtures go through a start-up sequence to find the limits of thier travel.

The Colorsplash Jr LED par lights do not have fans nor do they have boot up sequence like the moving heads. They may, however, take a second or two to respond. I find this is the case when I am using them with a DMX control board.

You are correct, the first post mentioned Chauvet Spots - in my mind i was picturing a moving head

have some info on the iDMX and have read through it, and understand using the channel's percentages to get the light(s) to the desired color and I understand the the idmx needing to be in line with the controllers. I guess the part I'm not understanding right is the channel vs controller issue. Right now I have 64 channels (4x 1602w), so in my sequence I have 64 channels configured. If I get a iDMX 1000 unit, all I need to do is set aside (controller wise) the number of channels equal to the number of Chauvet spots. In my sequence I will need to set aside the number of channels needed to power a Chauvet spot, and three additional channels to create the colors of the spot. Is that correct?

• The topic was locked