Light-O-Rama Forums

Simulation Errors

Swedge

Need a little help here. I'm trying to run a simulation in Visualizer but keep getting the following errors:

There are one or more errors with your simulation that prevent it from running.  Please correct these errors and try again.
   The DMX Pixel Universe on Universe 1, when assembled has more than 170 pixels (200).  The following fixtures should be checked:
   --Lawn.Tree.1
   --Lawn.Tree.2

The DMX Pixel Universe on Universe 3, when assembled has more than 170 pixels (200).  The following fixtures should be checked:
   --Lawn.Tree.3
   --Lawn.Tree.4

The errors are being caused by Tree.2 and Tree.4 spanning universes 1/2 and 3/4 respectively. I'm trying to drive two pairs of two 100 pixel mini trees off of two outputs of a Pixlite4 controller, 1 pair per output. Lawn.Tree.1 is using universe 1/channels 1-300, Lawn.Tree.2 is using universe 1/channels 301-510 and universe 2/channels 1-90. I tried running Lawn.Tree.2 on universe 2/channels 1-300 but kept getting the unused channels from universe 1 inserted and the first 70 pixels on Tree.2 weren't lighting.I'm somewhat limited in my options because I'm already using the other two Pixlite4 outputs for different props.

Is there a way to tell Visualizer to span universes?

Mike

There is a work around.  The issue is that the S4 Visualizer can't handle a single fixture that spans universes.  So the solution is to split whatever fixture is spanning universes into two fixtures.  For example, if you have a pixel tree with 50 pixel strings and you are packing pixel addresses.  For the example, we'll assume you are starting at universe 1.  With those assumptions, the strings would look like this:

String 1 - Universe 1, channels 1 - 150

String 2 - Universe 1, channels 151 - 300

String 3 - Universe 1, channels 301 - 450

String 4 - Universe 1, channels 451 - 510 and Universe 2, channels 1 - 90

String 5 - Universe 2, channels 91 - 240

String 6 - Universe 2, channels 241 - 390

The problem is string 4 crosses the universe division.  The solution is to have first 20 pixels in one fixture and the last 30 in another.  For example:

String 4a - Universe 1, channels 451 - 510

String 4b - Universe 2, channels 1 - 90

Takes a little more effort in building the string, but it's not that hard.  Of course, all of the string fixtures in the same prop.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, Visualizer doesn't like DMX fixtures unless they start on channel 1.

Here's the error:

There are one or more errors with your simulation that prevent it from running.  Please correct these errors and try again.
   Child Pixel fixture tree.4 - DMX Pixels 1 does not have a main Pixel Fixture (a Pixel Universe Fixture with physical pixel 1).  A Pixel Universe Fixture when assembled requires a fixture with pixel #1

I was able to work around it by configuring Tree.2 on the next universe (universe 2) in Visualizer. When I imported the Visualizer file into a new PE preview, I adjusted the channels on Tree.2 to start at universe 1/channel 301 and it carried over 88 channels. When I save the intensity file and run it in SE, it doesn't display correctly in Visualizer, but the physical lights seem to be working correctly.

Packing pixels is a pain. Guess I'll have to buy more controllers...

19 minutes ago, Swedge said:

Packing pixels is a pain. Guess I'll have to buy more controllers...

I did with my pixel tree for the first year or two.  Currently each 2 string (50 pixels each) uses one universe - example String 3 uses Universe 12 channels 1 - 150, and String 4 uses Universe 12 channels 256 - 405.  That was done with an intent a couple years ago to increase the length of the strings to 85 pixels, but that did not happen.  Current plan for 2018 is 100 pixels per strings so I will need to re-do my numbering plan.  I expect to allocate one full universe per string.

24 minutes ago, Swedge said:

A Pixel Universe Fixture when assembled requires a fixture with pixel #1

Ah yes, I remember that one.  If you do it the way I suggested, you won't have any universes that don't have a pixel #1.