Light-O-Rama Forums

Speaker Question

tvweather62

Most folks suggest having the outdoor speakers run between 6 and 9 and until 10 on weekends.  Sounds good.

Here's my question. If I use the audio out from the FM modulator, and Showtime Central on a timer, (Not running on PC)  I can't think of a good way to keep the radio going, while

cutting the speaker.  My thought is, use 2 couple of boom boxes on timers, that will use the fm signal and shut off at nine, while the fm radio for the cars will keep going.

Anyone else have another suggestion that allows me to keep the FM signal going, while the speakers shut off earlier?

I'm going to run the show only if we're home, so I'll have to manually control when it starts and ends.

The outdoor speaker I'm using will be plugged into a wireless remote so that I can turn on the speaker when the show starts, or turn off the speaker at 9:00 pm while allowing the FM transmitter to keep working.

But if you're running your show unattended and using a timer to start/stop the show, your idea of using a separate timer to turn off the boombox at 9:00 pm should work.  I would set it to turn on a few minutes before the ShowTime Central gets activated though.

Edited by Speedster
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, tvweather62 said:

Here's my question. If I use the audio out from the FM modulator, and Showtime Central on a timer, (Not running on PC)  I can't think of a good way to keep the radio going, while

cutting the speaker.  My thought is, use 2 couple of boom boxes on timers, that will use the fm signal and shut off at nine, while the fm radio for the cars will keep going.

That's likely the easiest way.  I lot of people use a FM receiver of one variety or another that is listening to their FM transmitter for local audio.  Just put a boombox or two on timers and you're good to go.  BTW, some boom boxes don't have a "real" power switch, and may or may not actually turn ON when power is applied without pushing a "on" button.  Make sure that whatever you use will turn on and stay on frequency when you power it back up.  Also note that some FM receivers will make a loud thump at either power on or power off.  Something else to test.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

That's likely the easiest way.  I lot of people use a FM receiver of one variety or another that is listening to their FM transmitter for local audio.  Just put a boombox or two on timers and you're good to go.  BTW, some boom boxes don't have a "real" power switch, and may or may not actually turn ON when power is applied without pushing a "on" button.  Make sure that whatever you use will turn on and stay on frequency when you power it back up.  Also note that some FM receivers will make a loud thump at either power on or power off.  Something else to test.

Great point about the power switch....never thought of that.  Thanks so much for responding!

I use an inexpensive, motion detecting, outdoor flood light fixture with a screw in AC socket adapter instead of a bulb. This powers on a small amplifier that's always switched on. This setup allows the speakers to only be on when someone is actually standing on front of the house. This eliminates music playing outside all night long when it doesn't need to be. The FM transmitted is always on during the show.

11 minutes ago, WhitePlainsNY said:

I use an inexpensive, motion detecting, outdoor flood light fixture with a screw in AC socket adapter instead of a bulb. This powers on a small amplifier that's always switched on. This setup allows the speakers to only be on when someone is actually standing on front of the house. This eliminates music playing outside all night long when it doesn't need to be. The FM transmitted is always on during the show.

Wow...great idea.