Light-O-Rama Forums

Zara Radio temperature announcement

Wayne K

11 hours ago, lanopie said:

Is there anyway to input a Lat and Lon info instead of the ZipCode?  This would be very helpful for us in Canada because it doesn't seem to work with our postal code system.

Thanks!

I should be able to modify it to use Lat/Lon info as well.  Give me a bit of time and I'll post a new message on this thread when it's ready

It appears the problem resolved itself. I ran it again this morning and its producing the correct results. Not sure what the issue was again.

Joel,

This error keeps showing up through the week and then it corrects itself. I had the occurance today and let it run and it resolved. I stopped the app and restarted it with a differnt zip in the XML file and as soon as I launched it bang the error again. Have any ideas?weather.PNG.e28c57ecff095068fc4933311e76abc6.PNG 

weather.PNG

Hi Kevin,

I'm sorry it's giving you problems.  From your screenshots, it looks like it's not able to connect to the OpenWeatherMap servers on the Internet.  It's not a fatal error (in that the program will crash) and it sounds like it goes away once it can establish a connection again.  The next time it happens, see if you can open a web browser to http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/weather.  If it's working, you should get a response about an invalid api key.  If you can't connect, then there's some type of network or Internet issue happening.

I'm going to release a new version within the next couple of months (I hope) that will have some new location options as well as graphical interface and I will make sure to put out a more descriptive error message.  For now, though, I would just let it run as it will resolve itself once it can establish a connection again.

Let me know if it keeps giving you problems, if you have questions, or any suggestions for improvement.

Joel

OK, Joel.

On our automation machine in the studio we get this when we stop the app or reboot the computer. If we let it go, it too clears up after some time (hrs). Have any ideas on this error condition?

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 7.10.43 PM.png

Hi Kevin,

This looks like the same issue as on your other machine.  From your screenshot, it tried to do a refresh at 6:56 and then a second one at 7:11 (15 min later).  The next time it happens, I'm curious to know what happens if you open that web browser connection I suggested.

Joel

I did do that and it came back with an invalid api key. It started working shortly after this. I know our network in the studio isn't busy so I''m wondering if the far end is having congestion issues? I ran a ping test against what I found as an IP address related to the domain http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/weather and this is what I'm getting. This is from my locaton and the station is only a few blocks away and uses the same ISP.

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 5.08.13 PM.png

Edited by Kevin Crutchfield

I would tend to agree with you that it's some type of congestion issue as well.  I just ran a ping and got a response time of 53ms.  It looks like you were getting almost 3 times that.  Not too surprising I guess given the amount of increased traffic on the net right now.  On the plus side it won't cause the program to crash - you just wont' get updated data for that refresh cycle.

That's a cool ping tool you're using.  Which one is it?

Joel

Joel,

Just an FYI. The application is failing to connect more than is. So for now I've halted the temp announcement on the air because it never changes. I'm wondering if you might want to look at an alternate site at least for my site? If so maybe we can communicate via email.

• 7 months later...

Hi Joel.

I've tried downloading your V3.0 you posted but it says the file is deleted.

Do you still provide your software for the temperature announcement?

If so, I'd really like to get a copy as I use Zara radio as well for my display.

Thank you Joel!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Yes, it's still available.  This spring/summer I rewrote the whole thing into a graphical user interface and added a bunch of new features (including an integrated template editor and ability to set the location via long/lat).  So I pulled the old files and just haven't gotten around to doing a formal announcement yet.  I will PM you with a link you can use to get the new version.

Joel

• The topic was locked