Light-O-Rama Forums

Christmas Expo 2018

zman

7 hours ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

Hmmm... Dallas isn't that far away. This might be worth the drive down to check it out! :)

+1

hmmm... 4 hours isn't a bad road trip for me either. 

If you are interested, book your rooms now at the Hapmton Inn, the original block of rooms was snatched up, and the owners had to go secure another block. The apres dinner impromtu lobby discussions are awesome...

I have a friend in Austin that I don't see very often...  Maybe a trip to go to Expo and then spend a few days with Marc...

My daughter lives in Frisco TX. I might have to get the motor home ready for a road trip,  to see her and bring back anything I might buy while I am there.

Tom

Shame that the people who put this on dont think that there is enough of us out west to bring it out here. I would go to Vegas, Sacramento, even Seattle  for it,  but not worth going all the way to Texas.

5 hours ago, jerry72 said:

Shame that the people who put this on dont think that there is enough of us out west to bring it out here. I would go to Vegas, Sacramento, even Seattle  for it,  but not worth going all the way to Texas.

I vote for Loss Wages!

7 hours ago, jerry72 said:

An unfortunate, but all too common problem that east coast people don't really think there is civilization west of the Rockies...

I live in Seattle, I would love it to come to the west coast. Knowing what little I know, I have a bit of insight here, but no control. I have also been to all the Expo's since 2007 with the exceptions of 2009's and last years. The managers do care for the community, and attempt to create a balance. Here is my dos centavos. 

Christmas Expo is successful for a couple reasons. First and foremost is the format and relationship with the vendors. Without the vendor support, Expo is perhaps just a so-so conference. Most of the vendors have to drive to get to this event, to bring their products to sell. If you take it much beyond Denver, you lose the vendors, and you create an event for the coast mainly. You then polarize the other coast. If it was held on the west, the east complains. If it was held in Seattle, those in LA would complain, Orlando, New York... You get the picture. 

It needs access to larger hubs that are central to most of the US. Attendees need to get there fairly easily. It relies on knowledgeable volunteers to present, who have to travel to the show in some manner. 

It has to have access to facilities that are economical. Labor Unions increase costs, facilities costs etc...  Christmas Expo managers to want to keep Expo as reasonable as possible for the young, old, newbie and tenured attendee. 

The managers took the admission from having to pay for 3 full days, to providing individual day passes. Then folks were stating that the curriculum was not published soon enough to make decisions on which day to attend. Besides participating in Expo at a few levels, I am also one of the organizers for CLAP in the PacNW. Anyone who has been involved in planning something at a local, or national level, realizes quickly the logistics of putting on an event, is never easy,. What is easy is to sit back and arm chair things. You're never going to make everyone happy. So you go with your sweet spot and hope for the best. 

The best part of Expo, is the "experience". You get to rub elbows with the vendors, talk to them, develop a relationship. You meet F2F those you communicate with in the forums, meet the Rock Stars of our community. You get the evening and late night lobby sessions where you never know what will take place. One year we had a conduit bending session in the lobby. Granted the hotel and Expo managers were a bit nervous, but all turned out well. Ask any past participant and they will tell you the atmosphere and experience is almost indescribable. I highly recommend it. 

Edited by zman
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:19 AM, Mega Arch said:

+1

hmmm... 4 hours isn't a bad road trip for me either. 

Hope to see you there. Don and I will be going however we will be sneaking out to visit with one or 2 of our other great friends that live close by.

JR

• Like 1

Mike in NOT LOR mode:

I have to agree with trying to get this more out west.  Yes, many of the vendors are here on the east coast so travel to the West coast would be a little difficult.  But I also think we have a completely untapped market out there.  Doing a little schmoozing with our west coast users would be awesome.

The first Expo I attended we suggested Denver as the next stop.  Would like to see that happen some time too!

For a while I was excited to go to new towns.  Then I discovered that my feet hurt SO BAD after an expo that the last thing I want to do is visit a town - no matter HOW cool it is.

I suppose the good thing about going back to DFW is that we can go to Babe's Chicken Dinner House again!! :)  The LOR staff and family went there and had a great time! :)