Light-O-Rama Forums

Mounting LOR boxes

Fred

Hey guys, I recently built several CBT16PC controllers and need to mount them to fence poles or antenna masts. Looking at the back of the boxes, it appears the boxes were designed to mount onto a pipe. Has anyone found any hardware to accomplish this? (I'm hoping to avoid drilling all the way through the boxes so they'll remain watertight.)

Thanks.

For several applications, I've used a pair of holes drilled through the strain relief bracket. I either use these holes on a U-bolt, or a pair of 1/2 inch anchor bolts. This seems to hold the case adequately well, and any new leakage path is below the electronics. The cases themselves are not waterproof, but quite rain resistant when fully closed.

- Kevin

Guest wbottomley

The key thing in mounting them is make them UGLY as SIN!

Robin gave me the idea to do so. It's the best theft deterrent you can find. People don't steal ugly things.

I built a "T" out of PVC and hammered it into the ground. Then, using rope, wire or a tie wrap, I went around the unit up and down and secured it to the "T". It worked well and held up for the entire season. I liked the idea of them being "tied" so that when I had problems with the units, I could change them out quickly.

Not really. The boxes are designed to be screwed to a flat surface using the 4 holes furthest to the corners. I think there are 4 more locations with similar hole profiles intended to mount around conduit, but I am not aware of any hardware sized to fit, and it may not be accessable with the card and strain relief installed.
- Kevin

• 5 months later...

-klb- wrote:

For several applications, I've used a pair of holes drilled through the strain relief bracket. I either use these holes on a U-bolt, or a pair of 1/2 inch anchor bolts. This seems to hold the case adequately well, and any new leakage path is below the electronics. The cases themselves are not waterproof, but quite rain resistant when fully closed.

- Kevin

Kevin, I've been wanting to thank you for your suggestion.

To tell the truth, I had my doubts as to whether or not a U-bolt through the heatsink would hold the LOR securely. But, it worked great!

I used mast-mount U-bolts from Radio Shack (P/N 15-826) and attached them to powder-coated antenna mast sections (P/N 15-862) sawed in half. The U-bolts I used were way over-priced (about 6 bucks each), but they worked really well. I also like the powder-coated mast. It ought to last years before it rusts.

Again, thanks for the help.

Attached files 161367=9346-LOR_Mount.jpg

Cool! I'm glad you found parts that are working well for you. We had 11 controllers mounted on U-bolts through the heatsink last year with zero issues, and 5 more on 1/4 inch anchor bolts into brick..

I'll second the ugly part as well. Not that we were aiming so much for ugly, but rather camoflauge.. We spray painted most of the controllers in the park a random mix of brown and green. This really breaks up the edges, and helps them blend into the grass behind the controllers, that goes dormant over the course of the season..

They really look less valuable that way.

- Kevin

You better watch out!;) Somebody may offer to send you some less ugly stuff, since you advertised a landfill open for business!!:shock::shock:

- Kevin

I was thinking of using a couple 3' t posts from HD, then just screw on a couple cedar boards (cut short) to span between them and then mount the controller onto that. Those t-posts are not going anywhere in Colorado clay soil. Also, the posts have holes in them for running screws and also perhaps a small security cable through. I was also wondering about the trash bags ... I also like the camo painting ideas.

Also, any advise on how to mount a controller on a roof. Can it just sit there?

I would worry about plastic bags collecting and trapping humidity on the inside, so that as the temperature cycles, there is a risk of condensation inside the controller enclosure... Plus, by trapping at least one layer of air, you are insulating the controller far more than a layer of paint will, and impacting the ability of the controllers to cool..