Light-O-Rama Forums

Looking for recommendations for IP based security cameras and NVR

k6ccc

I have had an analog cameras & DVR based security monitoring system in my yard for a number of years.  It's getting rather elderly and never was overly good.  I am looking to replace that with an IP camera & NVR based system.  There have been several discussions here on different systems (which I have just re-read), but those were several years ago and any specific product recommendations would likely be outdated.  My current system supports up to eight cameras, and I want to go higher than that so likely a NVR that can go up to 16 cameras (although I wont start with that many cameras).  I am aiming for a local storage based system rather than a internet storage, and of course want to be able to view from the internet.

So, I'm looking for both general considerations and specific recommendations.

I have an Amcrest system with an NVR and six HD cameras on mine. I put a 4tb harddrive in the NVR and the cameras are 1080p. Mine only does eight cameras but I also have three Foscam interior cameras that are a seperate system and record to individual micro sd cards.

I love the fact that I can monitor all my cameras with my phone no matter where I am. When we visit family the neighbors kid comes over to look after the pets, they call my phone when they get to my garage so I can see them and I can open the garage remotely for them to get in. I can see them in the house and see them when they leave so I can remotely close the garage to lock up the house.

I have 4 HKvision (clone) 1.3Mp (fixed lens) domes from Amazon for $59  POE, ONVIF.  They work amazingly well out of the box.

I also have 2 bullets (also POE, ONVIF) with vari- focal length.  Focus vs Zoom is a pain (mainly lag). I take the Laptop outside and tweak (and cuss)

I have a 8chan Mini-NVR that I am NOT happy with (fighting with the Motion detect mode)

Note the Onscreen viewer prefers IE (not edge) for both.

1 minute ago, TheDucks said:

Note the Onscreen viewer prefers IE (not edge) for both.

Same here, I also cannot use Chrome if viewing on a laptop.

BTW I use a separate POE switch and a router between my network and the security network. 

Some   NVR come with  the POE ports  AND act as the router.  It all depends on your network topography and NVR placement,  which is better.

I recently got what your looking for and currently have them installed. My cameras are 4k and 2k with color night vision ( which is really cool) So, so, so much better than IR might vision.  16 channel NVR with a 3 terabyte hard drive. It has a boatload of features. When I get my Halloween display up and running come on over to check them out. I should be ready by Wednesday. You haven't seen my Halloween display yet so I can give you the customary behind the scenes tour? 

My company started installing HikVision many years ago, so after a couple of years seeing them (and some other brands) in action, when I decided to do an install at our home, I bought the HikVision NVR and a couple of assorted cameras.

ONVIF is the standard for IP CCTV, so If you get camera and NVR that talk onvif, you can mix and match. ( Motion detection trigger is easiest when brands match ) I tried HDView, HOSAFE, and HikVision cameras. They all work fine. Day/Night shutter broke on 1 Hosafe after about a year, but 4 others still fine and for what they cost 2MegaPixel POE for 40.00 - Id keep buying them. The Hikvision camera gets the best picture, but its also the only 4mp cam I tried. I just got the HD View a couple days ago. 3mp The picture looks nice.

I like the HikVision mobile App. It doesn't crash, and is easy to navigate.

I have not tried any of the color nightvision Every example I have seen are things with a lot of ambient light. Im curious what 'color night vision' looks like with zero light ( probably not an issue for Christmas displays, but could be for general use)

Everything I got came from Amazon.

The color night vision won't work obviously in ZERO light ( humans can't even see in zero light) at that point he IR kicks. It works great with AMBIENT lighting. I have a street light approximately 80 feet from my house. Not the bright white LED stuff they have now. It has a soft yellow glow and in the front of my house I have some dusk to dawn LED lights. It doesn't take much ambient  lighting for them to work well.  I can even see well with the pathway 8 lumen  lights I have approximately 30 feet from the front of my house with the color night vision.  The more the better of course.  But no one is going to light up their house like it's daytime (except me of course ?). And ANY color vision at night is better than IR. This is my OWN opinion of course and others will have varying views ?

Edited by BMurray

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:10 PM, k6ccc said:

II have had an analog cameras & DVR based security monitoring system in my yard for a number of years.  It's getting rather elderly and never was overly good.  I am looking to replace that with an IP camera & NVR based system.  There have been several discussions here on different systems (which I have just re-read), but those were several years ago and any specific product recommendations would likely be outdated.  My current system supports up to eight cameras, and I want to go higher than that so likely a NVR that can go up to 16 cameras (although I wont start with that many cameras).  I am aiming for a local storage based system rather than a internet storage, and of course want to be able to view from the internet.

So, I'm looking for both general considerations and specific recommendations.

I have 32 FLIR system from LOREX. All "color" night vision. Ive had my current system going on 5 years. My only complaint, only 3 days stored on NVR. If something like my undelivered package last week and I failed to check my emails about delivery. Too late to actually prove it wasn't delivered by at least the company is stand up and replacing the items. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

1 hour ago, gizmomkr said:

My company started installing HikVision many years ago, so after a couple of years seeing them (and some other brands) in action, when I decided to do an install at our home, I bought the HikVision NVR and a couple of assorted cameras.

ONVIF is the standard for IP CCTV, so If you get camera and NVR that talk onvif, you can mix and match. ( Motion detection trigger is easiest when brands match ) I tried HDView, HOSAFE, and HikVision cameras. They all work fine. Day/Night shutter broke on 1 Hosafe after about a year, but 4 others still fine and for what they cost 2MegaPixel POE for 40.00 - Id keep buying them. The Hikvision camera gets the best picture, but its also the only 4mp cam I tried. I just got the HD View a couple days ago. 3mp The picture looks nice.

I like the HikVision mobile App. It doesn't crash, and is easy to navigate.

I have not tried any of the color nightvision Every example I have seen are things with a lot of ambient light. Im curious what 'color night vision' looks like with zero light ( probably not an issue for Christmas displays, but could be for general use)

Everything I got came from Amazon.

During the holidays the color night vision cameras I have go crazy. Switching from color to black and white constant. I do have a couple that stay on color most of the time since they are very close to the cameras.

It doesn't affect the playback quality though.

I wonder if your cameras would work with my Lorex system. LOREX says only theirs but its so expensive. Do the Hikvision have POE as well?

JR

21 hours ago, BMurray said:

I recently got what your looking for and currently have them installed. My cameras are 4k and 2k with color night vision ( which is really cool) So, so, so much better than IR might vision.  16 channel NVR with a 3 terabyte hard drive. It has a boatload of features. When I get my Halloween display up and running come on over to check them out. I should be ready by Wednesday. You haven't seen my Halloween display yet so I can give you the customary behind the scenes tour? 

What brand you using?

Lorex. ... I had their 1080p camera bundle from Costco originally.  I never had a problem with them and they had a good picture quality.  So I upgraded to my current system. I also use  the Lorex cloud service which has some pretty awesome features including 30 days of unlimited backup. For 4 cameras its $30 a month. Which in the grand scheme of things ain't too bad.  Unfortunately the 3 terabyte drive does not store a whole lot. But with recording in 4k and 2k that is to be expected. 

• The topic was locked