Light-O-Rama Forums

Triac Replacement necessary ?

Darin Miller

Howdy, I purchased a few used CTB16D controllers and found one of the controllers with a single channel not functioning. All of the pigtails, powerblocks and traces are good. I checked the voltage right on the leftmost pin of the TO-220 Triac and found 0 VAC. All the remaining Triacs had good voltage with all channels turned to "ON" in the hardware utility. My question: Are there any other signals I could check upstream of the Triac in order to isolate this part as the failure? If I have a bad Triac, then I may just need the NTE part number. We have a local shop that sells all NTE electronics and I could get it replaced quickly.

Thanks

-Darin

Darin,

I am not at one of my boards to look. I assume the leftmost pin is the output pin of the Triac. The other component that could be effected is the Opto. I believe the Opto gates the Triac on the center pin. So you would need to see if you have 120 vac coming from the opto.

Keep us posted!

Chuck

Triac: Mfr. STMICROELECTRONICS, Part #BTA16-600BWRG

Opto, Mfr. FAIRCHILD, Part #MOC3023-M

Your local shop should be able to cross reference the part numbers to an NTN number.

I would be a little suspicious of the triac failing. I have lost more optos than triacs.

Contact Dan - they will send you replacement parts

Dennis Cherry wrote:

Did you check if the opto was installed backwards?

This was a previously working unit and the opto is in correct. I guess I'm kind of stuck so maybe I should start with the opto and then move to the Triac.

Thanks for the advice