Light-O-Rama Forums

Enclosures

Guest guest

Just wanted to give folks a heads up:

We are currently having molds built for LOR enclosures. I think we will be able to beat the current prices for plastic boxes and these boxes have been designed with the CTB16 and CTB08 cards in mind... Built in standoffs that match the mounting holes in the heatsinks.

The first of three molds is complete ( Main shell, Cover, external mounting tabs )... I do not know the exact price until they have a "volume" calculation for the plastic and plastic cost is tied to the cost of oil.:D

These boxes will be used for the Showtime products and will be sold to hobbyists. Exact date depends on the machine shop building the molds.

greenmeanie wrote:

Are your going to have a nice big LOR logo Embedded in them :D

Oh, please don't. Or at least make it a sticker that we can remove.

I'm not ashamed or anything ... but there are times you don't want to advertise what's inside.

Don wrote:

greenmeanie wrote:
Are your going to have a nice big LOR logo Embedded in them :D

I'm not ashamed or anything ... but there are times you don't want to advertise what's inside.

Very true, maybe an indention but ya nothing bright and fancy that says hey here I am come take me...

light man wrote:

maby if you engrave it you will know but it will be hard to see at night.

Just adding cost to the picture here. I'm sure Dan wants to keep them as cheap as possible, yet as quality as possible. Adding custom engravings and such will only drive the price higher.

Don wrote:

greenmeanie wrote:
Are your going to have a nice big LOR logo Embedded in them ;)

Sorry but the LOR logo is part of the mold. I never thought about it bing a risk having the logo on there. I hope it does not cause problems. As far as I know, no LOR controller has been stolen, some were damaged as part of a larger vandalism.

I think that if people were informed enough to know what LOR was that they would figure out what a box is that has one/two power feeds and 16 outputs, in a Christmas Display that dances to music or is very animated, with or without a logo on it.

VonnerNIX wrote:

Just adding cost to the picture here. I'm sure Dan wants to keep them as cheap as possible, yet as quality as possible. Adding custom engravings and such will only drive the price higher.
Yes that is true. My guess is that over the life of the mold, the logo is going to add less than $0.05 to the price of an enclosure.

G'day Dan,

Great idea, sourcing reasonable (quality / price) enclosures in Australia has so far been a bit of a challenge... This might be early days, but have you and the team thought about how you are going to ship them. Eg: If I buy an enclosure and a controller, can the controller be packaged inside the enclosure? Just thinking of the size and potential shipping costs (particularly overseas).

Regards,

davidt

www.daves-portal.com/xmas2006

What a brilliant idea dan, I was lucky that a good samaratain gave me a ritetime box for my 1st CTB16 and i was wondering what i was going to use this year.

Zac,

If they do not come in black, then you could probably get away with painting them with Krylon Fusion. I used the black Krylon Fusion to paint PVC last year for my Nativity arches and was very pleased with the paint.

Yeah, I think a flat black or forest green would work best. Are those of you that have used krylon fusion happy with it? Is it pretty durable? Sorry to get off topic.

Jason

Scott Loftus wrote:

That is great to hear Dan. Hopefully photos will be available soon.
All I have now is the mechanical drawings. The mold making process is a slow one, it takes many weeks to accomplish. When we have some proofs from them we will take some actual photos. ( I am excited myself... )

I don't think this box will work for LOR. THe dimensions of a CTB16D are 6-5/8" wide x 9-1/4" long x 2-1/8" tall. This enclosure is only 8 x 10 x 6. The 10" seems like it might be a bit tight.