Light-O-Rama Forums

Cannot make the pixels work

Wayne K

I am new to pixel editor. I have a pixie 8 hooked up on a table with only ports 1, 2, 3, 4 with led's on them. In the preview list I created a group called props, Then in the preview design I then have created 3 props under the prop menu. The props are just for testing at this time. under the prop definition window, I have selected RGB Pixels in the left side, in the middle I have played with and tried strings and nodes and the order in the middle window. In the left pane I have selected LOR, I have tried unchecking and checking the boxes. I have put in my unit #s ( I have double checked my channel config with the pixel test in the hardware utility and they match ) I also have a steady red light on the pixie board.

I have Imported a test sequence from SE and it shows the timing grid and the cells. So then I have 3 props showing on the left side of the time line. I have  turned on the cells I want to control and they turn white in the time line. Now I hit the play button and my preview window shows the effect as if it was playing on the controller.

But I cannot for the life of me make the controller work and blinky blinky the pixels. I also have the control lights box checked. I do have a steady on red led on the pixie 8 board

Anyone got any idea what I am missing here?

Thnaks

Wayne

Try the Hardware utility. Make sure you have the correct ID set. Remember the Pixie 8 will use that (starting) value and the next 7..

The HW utility can make the strings do basic stuff. Twinkle, color change, Chase.  Have fun

Then get back to your edits, once you have proved the hardware.

BTW the Pixies have 4 terminals. Did you use the Data terminal (3 lead smart strings)?

Another thing, that there is no INSULATION in the contacts wire clamp (been there )?

Thanks for the reply, I have done all that in the hardware utility. All of my pixels work fine from the hardware utility. I can scan the devices and find my device and test the pixels from there on the 4 ports I have hooked up. I can also use the pixel test and turn any or all of them on.

It seems to me to be a problem in the pixel editor somewhere.

40 minutes ago, Wayne K said:

Thanks for the reply, I have done all that in the hardware utility. All of my pixels work fine from the hardware utility. I can scan the devices and find my device and test the pixels from there on the 4 ports I have hooked up. I can also use the pixel test and turn any or all of them on.

It seems to me to be a problem in the pixel editor somewhere.

Well it seems  we are at the same place.  I bought a pair of pixie4's the last sale.  I just built a pair of  HC tombstones with Pixels at the edge. (The RIP is plain RGB). I am trying to figure out how to make the pixels into:

Marquee lights  (sets of 3 or 4 do a mini chase), or maybe a R/L side waterfall (top to bottom cascade), not just a simple color change in the  30 rgb'S WOULD HAVE ALLOWED.  

(I was inspired by Robin Williams Genie. I wanted RIP to chang and say 'Open or Big Sale. Real CAMP :P stuff )

24 minutes ago, Little_b said:

Make sure the "Control Lights" tab is checked from the Tools pull down menu if in PE or The Play tab in SE.

Yes I have checked and unchecked that trying to reset whatever.

Theducks

I hope you get it working, At this point I am of no help to you. Thanks for your suggestions on my problem!

Thanks guys for trying to help me !!!

Problem solved!!!!!!

Since I only had 4 strings of pixels hooked up on the controller and was just trying to do testing, I was giving all of my prop's the same channels. Since I had 3 props on the time line PE would not let the pixels work. I split the 4 ports into 2 groups of 2 ports and assigned 2 ports to 1 prop and the other 2 ports to the other prop and it seems to work now. I got to thinking that a few years ago, I double assigned a channel in SE and had similar problems.

Wayne

Edited by Wayne K

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2017 at 10:52 PM, Wayne K said:

Thanks guys for trying to help me !!!

Problem solved!!!!!!

Since I only had 4 strings of pixels hooked up on the controller and was just trying to do testing, I was giving all of my prop's the same channels. Since I had 3 props on the time line PE would not let the pixels work. I split the 4 ports into 2 groups of 2 ports and assigned 2 ports to 1 prop and the other 2 ports to the other prop and it seems to work now. I got to thinking that a few years ago, I double assigned a channel in SE and had similar problems.

Wayne

Hi, I am brand new to this after seeing so many awesome things last year.  I am searching and searching and came across your post here.  I believe I am having the same problem and do not quite yet understand your fix.  Background, I am creating a singing face for Halloween.  I am using 8 strings of 2811, 12mm bullet style pixels.  I have each string plugged into a separate pigtail coming off my new Pixie 16 Controller.  So one side of the controller is all I am using.  8 Used, 8 Not Used.  I can get my strings to all light up and do different things using the Hardware Editor but when I go to the Pixel Editor, I cannot get any actual response from the lights.  Only in the preview window.  Does it sound like my issue may be like what you described?  I have opened and closed the sequence and ensured the "control lights" option is selected.  All 8 of my channels show as props.  If this sounds like the same thing you had, what do you mean when you say you split the ports into groups etc.  That part I am not sure how to do or what exactly it means still.  

34 minutes ago, MGoBlue102 said:

Hi, I am brand new to this after seeing so many awesome things last year.  I am searching and searching and came across your post here.  I believe I am having the same problem and do not quite yet understand your fix.  Background, I am creating a singing face for Halloween.  I am using 8 strings of 2811, 12mm bullet style pixels.  I have each string plugged into a separate pigtail coming off my new Pixie 16 Controller.  So one side of the controller is all I am using.  8 Used, 8 Not Used.  I can get my strings to all light up and do different things using the Hardware Editor but when I go to the Pixel Editor, I cannot get any actual response from the lights.  Only in the preview window.  Does it sound like my issue may be like what you described?  I have opened and closed the sequence and ensured the "control lights" option is selected.  All 8 of my channels show as props.  If this sounds like the same thing you had, what do you mean when you say you split the ports into groups etc.  That part I am not sure how to do or what exactly it means still.  

It sounds as if your problem is going to be in your configuration. Your pixie16 needs to use 16 consecutive channels. Not channels 1-16 though. When you set the config it should ask you to select the pixie16's first unit ID. It will automatically assign the 15 consecutive ID's. Example. If your pixie16 first channel is 1 then it will assign 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, 0A, OB, OC, OD, OE, OF, 10.

You are starting out with one of the most difficult props to build (a singing face) in the first place. Youd be better off testing and getting to know other props with the pixie16 rather than jumping right into a singing face from the onset. 

The pixie16's are very easy to configure in of itself but with you being new, and since it doesn't sound like you have experience with singing faces in just regular mini leds/ incans from someone who produces many sequences I wouldn't jump into both fires at once. Select one and get comfortable with it and then branch out.

If you have questions about pixie16's and how to configure shoot me a pm. 

If you have questions about sequencing singing faces, shoot me a pm. I can tell you how to get started.

JR

Oh, wow, I had no idea that I went straight for the hard to do.  I have two weeks left to figure it out if I can get at least one song out of him.

2 minutes ago, MGoBlue102 said:

Oh, wow, I had no idea that I went straight for the hard to do.  I have two weeks left to figure it out if I can get at least one song out of him.

I am thinking that you have gotten mixed up with the normal singing faces and hoping with RGB faces. The singing faces that the majority are using are non RGB faces controlled by normal AC controllers, not pixel controllers.

If you have not produced any normal singing faces ever with papagayo or other methods and being brand new to RGB's youd have to be, I don't have a word, beyond genious to pull both of these feats off in 2 weeks.

All I can say is WOW and best of luck.

JR

23 hours ago, MGoBlue102 said:

I think you have gotten better answers than I could give you at this point on your problem. Quiet honestly, these are very new to me also, I messed with them very heavy back in early September, But have not done much more with them since.

Wayne

Wow, still digging and digging all through this complicated maze of the world wide web.  I cannot believe it is this difficult to find things out with regards to creating light displays.  I can learn how to build a bomb quicker.  Anyhow, I am pretty much reserved now to writing off the idea of having this singing face of pixels for Halloween.  I slightly shifted this weekend to try and bring my spirits and hopes back that I can at least start working on adding some arches to my Christmas display and even that discouraged me.  Something so simple from what I thought.  Hardware all ready to go, I plugged in one single light strip and attempted to create some simple test patterns on the strip to make the lights chase each other in red and white like a candy cane yet that flopped.  I can light the bulbs in hardware design but nothing in the pixel editor.  What on earth am I doing so wrong that I cannot even get this one strip to chase.  Wow, if I had hair, I would be pulling it out.  So Frustrated!  LOR really should have some better videos showing actual basics of their entire product, not just the boring monotone instructions on sequencing.  They should show the actual effects of the sequence on some bulbs to see it truly work like they say it will work.  Mine looked good in the preview pane but unfortunately, not a bulb would light.

9 minutes ago, MGoBlue102 said:

Wow, still digging and digging all through this complicated maze of the world wide web.  I cannot believe it is this difficult to find things out with regards to creating light displays.  I can learn how to build a bomb quicker.  Anyhow, I am pretty much reserved now to writing off the idea of having this singing face of pixels for Halloween.  I slightly shifted this weekend to try and bring my spirits and hopes back that I can at least start working on adding some arches to my Christmas display and even that discouraged me.  Something so simple from what I thought.  Hardware all ready to go, I plugged in one single light strip and attempted to create some simple test patterns on the strip to make the lights chase each other in red and white like a candy cane yet that flopped.  I can light the bulbs in hardware design but nothing in the pixel editor.  What on earth am I doing so wrong that I cannot even get this one strip to chase.  Wow, if I had hair, I would be pulling it out.  So Frustrated!  LOR really should have some better videos showing actual basics of their entire product, not just the boring monotone instructions on sequencing.  They should show the actual effects of the sequence on some bulbs to see it truly work like they say it will work.  Mine looked good in the preview pane but unfortunately, not a bulb would light.

Actually the tutorials within the Help section in SE/ PE is really good. I followed it step by step in trying to make my pixel spider. I even changed some of what was instructed to fit my need but still followed the steps.

Have you attempted to start in SE? Just asking. This will help you get your pixie configured correctly. I believe all of your problems are from your configuration. There are also video tutorials on the LOR http://www1.lightorama.com/tutorials/ scroll down to PE.

One thing I have learned while adding pixels and pixies to my mess is that patience is a must. 

I can probably get your config fixed in a very short time but I am not versed at PE used it that one time, made my prop and all lights blink. Testing is all/ mostly done in the viz,

PM me a tel # and time and I will call you and help walk you through a config that will work.

You need to become familiar with your controller and the process before it will all start coming together and make sense.

JR