Light-O-Rama Forums

Wiring Mystery

Guest guest

I'm both stumped and perplexed.

I have 8 strings of C7s which are channels 1-8 on my controller. They are stapled to a 1x4 so I can do chase sequences with them. I don't believe any staples have damaged any of the wiring.

Before connecting them to the controller I powered each string to check for any bulbs out and all was fine.

So tonight when I ran my show one strand didn't light - channel 6.

I disconnected it from LOR and plugged it into an extension cord and it lighted -- and so did channel 5.

So each circuit operates fine when powered separately from LOR, but when they are connected to LOR channel 5 and 6 are somehow combined.

Before I take apart that piece of the display (likely tomorrow), does anyone care to offer suggestions of what I should look for?

I had the same problem last year (same channels and same set of lights). I was so new (and overwhelmed) by LOR that I didn't resolve it. I did send the unit to Dan and it was checked out A-OK, so I'm confident the controller isn't the problem though it it somehow providing an electrical path that facilitates the problem.

Anyway ... any suggestions or other insight would be appreciated.

Rick Hughes wrote:

So tonight when I ran my show one strand didn't light - channel 6.

I disconnected it from LOR and plugged it into an extension cord and it lighted -- and so did channel 5.

So each circuit operates fine when powered separately from LOR, but when they are connected to LOR channel 5 and 6 are somehow combined.

Anyway ... any suggestions or other insight would be appreciated.

Rick,

Something in your wiring is bridging the two ckts, if this is a hobby card then double check your wiring from the plugs to the board. Check carefully for some wire or small braid shorting between the two cords.

Good luck

Doug C.

Possibly one of the wires for one of the cords is plugged into the wrong terminal on the terminal strip? Check the internal wire connections for those channels (:rudolph:WITH THE UNIT UNPLUGGED:rudolph:)

If I understand you correctly, channel 5 on, channel 6 off lights the strings plugged into both plugs 5 and 6. But channel 6 on channel 5 off doesn't light anything. If that is true, then it sounds like a wire for channel 6 is going to channel 5 instead. I doubt that the connection for 5 and 6 are shorted together, otherwise both strands would light each time either channel was activated.

Also note that according to the manual, the order of the neutral connections don't matter, so you shouldn't have to worry about the neutral connections. But make sure that a neutral wire didn't somehow get plugged into a hot terminal.

Hope that helps.

Dan W (no relation to Dan of Light-O-Rama)

2 things I can think to check...

Plug in a couple of sets of minis or something and check the channels out of the control to see if it is in the wiring etc. on the control -OR- on the light strands themselves.
(That will tell you where to look for the problem)

The other thought is... have you checked your channel setup on 5 and 6 in your sequences?

I hope this might help!:happytree:

I have a simular problem right now. I have a set of minis and the lights from inflatables plugged into each channel. On my unit # 7 stays on all the time. They will dim a little when they are suppose to turn off but never go all the way out.