Light-O-Rama Forums

How to power-up LOR controllers

George Simmons

I'm sure this is a dumb question, or perhaps a couple of dumb questions, but since I haven't found any answers yet anywhere on the forum, here goes...

I've got a dozen 20-amp circuits around the perimeter of the house. Each circuit terminates in a standard GFCI receptacle. I'm planning on having two of my controllers run nothing but LEDs. Using splitters, can I plug both of those controllers into a single receptacle? For other controllers that power minis, can both sides of the controller be plugged into the same receptacle box as long as their combined loads don't exceed about 18 amps or so?

Thanks.

George Simmons

George,

You are correct. So long as you don't go over the rated limit of your power infrastructure, you can connect as many controllers as needed.

The simple answer to your question is yes you can do this. Would I do it, no. I am guessing, depending on the amount of LED's you, that plugging the controllers into the same outlet would not be a problem at all. Just make sure that the two controllers combined, when on full power, don't exceed the amps of each side of the controller, the total amps of the controller and the 18 amps for the circuit.

Greg

I did this last year as well.

Just calculate your Amps, and remeber the 80% safety rule. So, if you got a 20 Amp cirucit, load it up to 16 Amps. You should be fine.