Light-O-Rama Forums

X10

Denny

Will a LOR controller pass an X10 signal through one of the channels?

I have a couple display elements where I want some things to do the same thing at the same time, but not necessarily all the time. Rather than use two channels of LOR, can I attach a three way adapter to the output of one of the LOR channels, then connect an X10 module to the 3 way adapter? The segment that I want to use all the time would then be connected to the adapter without the X10 module. When I want the other segment to mirror the first, would the X10 module turn on if I sent the appropriate command through the controller to the module? If it works, I realize that I would probably need to use 100% intensity, no twinkle, etc.

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm at least 99% sure you can't do this. The signal for X10 has to be so "pure" that it will never make it through all the electronics on the controller.

I use X10 as well. For what your describing, why not just set up an X10 channel in the sequence and use that? that is what I do and it works great.

Greg

To do what you want, you will need to have the X10 module plugged in directly to the power, and activate a relay that will switch the light segment to the LOR channel. You can use a regular X10 module with a relay like this this, or you could use a UM506 module with a low-voltage power supply and a low voltage relay.

If you have spare X10 appliance (relay) modules lying around, you might also be able to tear one apart and modify it to get the relay contacts isolated from the rest of the circuitry. I'm not sure if this will work. You could also ignore the warnings in the UM506 manual and wire its outputs directly between the LOR outputs and your lights.

If you're just trying to save money, your best bet is to just buy another LOR controller, as the price per channel is less than buying a bunch of X10 controllers and relays.