Light-O-Rama Forums

RBG Guidance

Septon

Hello, I am very new to RBG.  I wanted to buy 2 RBG CMB24D is a 24 channel Direct Current Controller while on sale here today.  BUT, I can't find the ribbons.  So I found someone selling them and want to ensure i am not an idiot.

I want to run 16 ribbons. RGB Color - IP65 White PCB  - 5M 5050 DC12V 60LEDs/m 5m/lot

With the cards can I use my 12V 30A 360W Power supplies I have here? One for each card?

Can Someone respond back today perhaps?

Thank you.

I would need the specs or a link for the ribbons but I am guessing that they are probably 72 watts per strip since they are 60 LEDs/m. Eight ribbons at 72 watts would be 576w total so your power supply would be too small. I would highly recommend that you look for the 30 LEDs/m as they are usually around 36w per strip and you current PS would be fine.

you used the plural form: Power supplies

You have 2 or 4

Each CMB can have 2 power feeds (1 per 4 out RGB bank/8 outputs) 

Do NOT join the Plus sides if you use 2 supplies, but DO with the negative  (I think the CMB does that for you, but mine is mounted, so I can't verify)

How about 12v 50a 600watt?  Would that do it do you think?

Also, what would be the difference between 30/60, I figured the 60 would be better?

1 minute ago, TheDucks said:

you used the plural form: Power supplies

You have 2 or 4

Each CMB can have 2 power feeds (1 per 4 out RGB bank/8 outputs) 

Do NOT join the Plus sides if you use 2 supplies, but DO with the negative  (I think the CMB does that for you, but mine is mounted, so I can't verify)

Oh.. I have a few power supplied, I have a couple of 12v 15a 180w  I have a couple of 12v 30 360

2 minutes ago, Septon said:

The specs aren't detailed enough but I am pretty sure they will be close to 72w per strip. Here are similar strips that I am only posting as a reference for detailed specs as they are very similar.

http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=51

I run three CMB24's but I use the 30 LEDs/m on all of them.

1 minute ago, Septon said:

Also, what would be the difference between 30/60, I figured the 60 would be better?

60 is not always better as many times they can be too bright even with 30 and the intensity will have to be turned down.

10 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

The specs aren't detailed enough but I am pretty sure they will be close to 72w per strip. Here are similar strips that I am only posting as a reference for detailed specs as they are very similar.

http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=51

I run three CMB24's but I use the 30 LEDs/m on all of them.

60 is not always better as many times they can be too bright even with 30 and the intensity will have to be turned down.

The price difference is not that much between them, see my example here at AliExpress.

US $6.15 LED Strip 5050 30LED/m 5m 150LEDs 12V flexible light Warm White,White,Red,Blue, Green,RGB Color,5m/lot

US $6.91  5M 5050 Flexible LED Light RGB 60LEDs/m LED Strip String Ribbon Tape Lamp Home Decoration Lamp DC12V

You would recommend if you had to do it all over again to do 30?

10 minutes ago, Septon said:

The price difference is not that much between them, see my example here at AliExpress.

US $6.15 LED Strip 5050 30LED/m 5m 150LEDs 12V flexible light Warm White,White,Red,Blue, Green,RGB Color,5m/lot

US $6.91  5M 5050 Flexible LED Light RGB 60LEDs/m LED Strip String Ribbon Tape Lamp Home Decoration Lamp DC12V

You would recommend if you had to do it all over again to do 30?

Me personally, I will only use the 30 as they are plenty bright enough and for many of my sequences I have to turn the intensity down to 50%.

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Me personally, I will only use the 30 as they are plenty bright enough and for many of my sequences I have to turn the intensity down to 50%.

Hmmm then perhaps I should go 30  If I do, you think those power supplies I have should do, and if not I need 600w right?

Just now, Septon said:

Hmmm then perhaps I should go 30  If I do, you think those power supplies I have should do, and if not I need 600w right?

If you go with the 30 then the PS you have will be fine and you will only need one per board.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr. P said:

If you go with the 30 then the PS you have will be fine and you will only need one per board.

Next quesiton, I want to do a 40' stretch, I realize i need a power booster.  RGB Amplifier Controller 12A For 3528 5050 RGB LED Strip Light DC12-24V 

I found that think it would work?  Worst case i don't make it 40' but I know I need a boost.

(and truly, thank you for your help here...)

If you are tallking from the board to the light string is 40' then that is no problem for 12v dumb RGB even without the booster. I have a run that is 75' with no problems.

Man that is great!  One Last thing.

I plan on putting my CMD Gigger on the deck.  But have to go up 20'  I plan on Just using 4 Pin RBG + Wire such as this.  Is that a problem to use this as a power run?

2m/5m/10M 2pin wire 3pin wire 4Pin 5pin Extension wire,22 awg wire, RGB+White Wire Connector Cable For 3528 5050 LED Strip

1 minute ago, Septon said:

Man that is great!  One Last thing.

I plan on putting my CMD Gigger on the deck.  But have to go up 20'  I plan on Just using 4 Pin RBG + Wire such as this.  Is that a problem to use this as a power run?

2m/5m/10M 2pin wire 3pin wire 4Pin 5pin Extension wire,22 awg wire, RGB+White Wire Connector Cable For 3528 5050 LED Strip

I wouldn't recommend that wire as it is 22awg wire. For the longer runs you want to go with a thicker wire, 18awg minimum as the issue with the longer runs is the voltage drop due to resistance in the wire. Thicker wire such as 18awg or better would mean less voltage drop over the longer span.

1 hour ago, Septon said:

A 600 watt power supply would barely handle it.  Not a good plan to operate at 100%, so two 360 watt supplies would be better.  Easy to hook up two supplies to the CMB24D too.  The other thing to keep in mind is the total power limit of the CMB24D.  16 strips at 72 watts each would exceed the limit for the board.

1 hour ago, Septon said:

The 60 pixel per meter strips are BRIGHT - REALLY BRIGHT!  For most applications, 30 per meter is more than enough.  That also solves the power limit of teh CMB24D issue I mentioned above.

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

TheDucks is right about the CMB24D.  Two inputs that are properly configured.

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

A 600 watt power supply would barely handle it.  Not a good plan to operate at 100%, so two 360 watt supplies would be better.  Easy to hook up two supplies to the CMB24D too.  The other thing to keep in mind is the total power limit of the CMB24D.  16 strips at 72 watts each would exceed the limit for the board.

The 60 pixel per meter strips are BRIGHT - REALLY BRIGHT!  For most applications, 30 per meter is more than enough.  That also solves the power limit of teh CMB24D issue I mentioned above.

TheDucks is right about the CMB24D.  Two inputs that are properly configured.

Thank you, I plan on buying 2 CMB24D's and each running 8 Strings FYI.  And I will heed your advice as with Mr. P's and will order 30 instead. 

Hey One more question... I want to tape these lights to my house for year round.  Any suggestion on the best tape?  My pitch on my roof is really high!

3 minutes ago, Septon said:

Hey One more question... I want to tape these lights to my house for year round.  Any suggestion on the best tape?  My pitch on my roof is really high!

I don't think tape would be good.  I use a lot of both smart and dumb strips for my year round landscape lighting, so they are left up year round.  In all of my cases, the strips are attached to brick.  I use GE Silicon II to glue the strips in place.  Makes for a very low profile installation.  Mr. P's suggestions would be good if you want to be able to remove them, but would be more visible..

You can take a look at my installations at this page:

http://newburghlights.org/Landscaping.html