Light-O-Rama Forums

ShowTime Software Beta 5.0 Question

WeissWelsh

This question is for people who use the pixel editor and/or Superstar parts of the software.

I am just about to start learning how to use the Pixel Editor and SuperStar parts of the software. Since they are coming out with a 5.0 beta version of the software that will combine all these things, should I not waste my time trying to learn it and simply download the beta version and learn the new 5.0 version that is going to be coming out?

Bob

If you are going to jump into RGB pixel programming, I like the Pixel Editor, and with version 5.0 it is integrated into the Sequence Editor.

Since 5.0 was recently released, and is in beta (bugs and all), I have opted to stick with version 4.0, which forces me to Sequence all my non-RGB in Sequence Editor, then import into Pixel Editor to do the RGB channels (and back and forth, back and forth), until I have a final show I'm happy with.

In version 5.0, the back and forth between Pixel Editor and Sequence Editor is gone, but at this stage in 5.0,  I won't jump into it until next year, when they have most of the major bugs worked out.

1 hour ago, christmascrossing said:

If you are going to jump into RGB pixel programming, I like the Pixel Editor, and with version 5.0 it is integrated into the Sequence Editor.

Since 5.0 was recently released, and is in beta (bugs and all), I have opted to stick with version 4.0, which forces me to Sequence all my non-RGB in Sequence Editor, then import into Pixel Editor to do the RGB channels (and back and forth, back and forth), until I have a final show I'm happy with.

In version 5.0, the back and forth between Pixel Editor and Sequence Editor is gone, but at this stage in 5.0,  I won't jump into it until next year, when they have most of the major bugs worked out.

Since I don't have a clue how to use pixel editor, I was wondering if it even makes sense to learn the current version of the new version is going to be completely different. Do you (or anyone else) know if the next version currently in beta is similar to the current version? I just don't want to learn something that is going to be completely different in a few months.

Bob

I think the Pixel Editor (mostly) is the same between version 4 (existing) and version 5 (beta).  of course version 5 is more integrated into the Sequence Editor, and is the way LOR is going forward.  That said, if you started using version 4 Pixel Editor, it would not be hard to jump to version 5. 

3 hours ago, WeissWelsh said:

This question is for people who use the pixel editor and/or Superstar parts of the software.

I do ALL my sequencing in SuperStar.  I absolutely LOVE SuperStar, and can hardly imagine using anything else.  I have been using SuperStar ever since my first year of a Christmas light show in 2012.  For 2015, most of my sequencing was exported as Intensity files.  In 2016, I changed to absolutely everything was exported as Intensity files.  2017 will be the same.

3 hours ago, WeissWelsh said:

I am just about to start learning how to use the Pixel Editor and SuperStar parts of the software. Since they are coming out with a 5.0 beta version of the software that will combine all these things, should I not waste my time trying to learn it and simply download the beta version and learn the new 5.0 version that is going to be coming out?

As has been already mentioned, S5 which is in beta largely combines Pixel Editor, Sequence Editor, and part of the funtionality of Visualizer.  At this time (beta version 5.0.4), the SuperStar integration is absolutely dismal.  Except for things that pretty much look like a matrix, it is essentially worthless.  They are promising that it will get better.  As I have largely completed my 2017 sequencing, I have no intention to switch to S5 for 2017.  I am really hoping that by next February when I start sequencing for 2018, that S5 and in particular the SuperStar integration, will be advanced enough to be useful.  I will still plan on doing most of my sequencing in SuperStar, but it might be nice to add a few Pixel Editor effects.

SuperStar and Pixel Editor are radically different, so trying to learn both at the same time might be very confusing.  With that said, to answer your question, go ahead and start learning SuperStar or Pixel Editor as what you learn will be useful when you migrate to S5.

Thanks Jim & "Christmas Crossing." I'm going to take your advice and skip the S5 Beta for now and learn Pixel Editor and SuperStar on S4. I'd rather come into S5 with some previous knowledge. Truth be told, nothing I'll learn now will come into play this year. I'm a slow learner and like to really understand the software before using it for an actual show. Thanks so much!!

• The topic was locked