Light-O-Rama Forums

DIY - ColorSpashJr. Weatherproof enclosure.....CHEAP

stachows

I just managed to find a perfect enclosure for the Chauvet ColorSpash Jr.

You would never believe it, but use a empty 100 Disk CD/DVD Spindel (remove the center piece.)

If you want me to post pics, let me know, but you can buy a dozen empties on the internet for $15, and with a little caulk, they are perfectly water proof. The size is absolutley perfect...

I came across this by accident (I put a cd up the the light to see if it would diffuse the light, and the light ended up being like 1/16 inch smaller than a CD...) which made me think about enclosures...

Here is pic 2 with the light in the enclosure If you look close, you can see I put a little rouund circle of Light diffuser I bought form the hardware store in first.

Attached files 153221=8871-IMG_0402 (Small).jpg

and finally pic 3. wiht the bottom back on...You should only need a little caulk, and may some foam behind the light to keep it towards the front...

Attached files 153222=8872-IMG_0404 (Small).jpg

• 7 months later...

I get my empties free from work, but they can be found cheap online....

and the Diffuser works very well, just trying to find a way to cut it easily.

This is another cheap ecloseure if you drink coffee, I used plastic Folgers coffee cans, I cut the middle out of the lid and glued clear plexiglass to the rim just put the top back on the can with the the light inside, and sealed it with stretch wrap just in case. And cut holes for the wire and cables and bracket. One more thing I had to take the knobs off and put hex head screws in, the knobs don't fit inside. So far so good

I have 4 mounted under my eves and they are not in anything. Risky I know.

I have one mounted on a 4x4 piece on the ground with a plastic zip lock bag over it.

They all have been working just fine.

What did you use as a diffuser? I don't care for the "hot spot" these lights put on the house.

• The topic was locked