Light-O-Rama Forums

solenoid to start projector

Tony Hefner

I'm using a solenoid to automatically  start projector at the beginning of show and shut down at end of show.

I'm using a 12 volt solenoid  hooked to a wall wart that is controlled by a single  LOR channel. It starts with a animation sequence added to the start up in show editor. The sequence activates the solenoid for 1/2 second then continues for around 30 seconds , this allows the projector to start and ready to play video. At the end of the start up the Musical sequence's start. im still having problems with the first sequence not going full screen, when the 2nd sequence starts it goes to full screen as do the all rest till show ends. I think what I'm going to do is add a black screen video to start at the show so the 2nd  sequence will go full screen.

When the musical sequence's  end at of show  a shutdown sequence starts, When the shutdown  sequence is  activated the solenoid activates for  1/2 second pauses 1/2 second and activates 1/2 second then show ends and projector has been turned off.

I set up the projector and  a controller and tried it for  a week the solenoid worked every time. I still have some tweaking to do a few older sequences have the same unit number as the solenoid.

Here's a video of the solenoid bought off ebay for 6 dollars 

When you say solenoid are you talking about a car starter solenoid?

I just want to make you aware that a car starter solenoid is not rated for continuous use ( it will overheat). 

They do have continuous use solenoids available at most decent Auto Parts places. 

Watching the Video, The solenoid is similar to that in an old time Door Gong, only stronger. These are Industrial machine grade items, possibly found in Grainger or McMaster Carr.

You must have missed the THUMP action (1 to start, 2 times to shut off).. But Industrial solenoid systems CAN be continuous. The one I have seen. has 2 coils and an internal switch that disconnects the Heavy coil when the solenoid reaches the travel end. A hold current.  Hold  is not needed (or wanted) for this application: Simulated finger press.

I was watching the video on my phone and I didn't catch the actuator moving. 

He used the word solenoid which had me looking for something completely different. 

The solenoid is 12 volt push pull I bought it on eBay for 6 bucks. It only operates for a split second pushing down on the start button.  My projector needs a one push to start and 2 pushes to start. That's why there is no continuous current to it. Hope this helps 

• The topic was locked