Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Newbie / Pixel Editor W/ Pixie 8

mlswayze

I have created a animation in pixel editor.  I am very new to all of this.  I have successfully connected my Pixel 8 to my PC and I can run the Pixel console to test the lights.  How do I get the "animation" that I created "exported" to the Pixie 8?

Any advise / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I am wanting to run the Pixie 8 in stand alone mode with the animation.

First need to know a couple of things from you.

What version software?

What Level of License do you have?

If you plan to use Pixel Editor, you will need a PRO license, you should also download the latest version of the LOR suite.

License info can be found here. http://www1.lightorama.com/software-license-retrieval/

License upgrade info can be found here http://store.lightorama.com/s2soup.html

Having said all that, you do not have to have the Pro License to use the Pixie8, you just won't be able to use it with Pixel Editor.  You could still use Sequence Editor and Superstar. (You may have to upgrade Superstar to hand the channel count of a Pixie8.)

Superstar info page is here. http://store.lightorama.com/suse.html

Superstar and your Pixie8 would be a good way to sequence for a beginner. The Pixel Editor is easy but comes an increased cost (license level) but also adds the ability to use Intensity files, which are more suited for larger displays. You will gain a benefit, just more of a startup cost.

PS Welcome to the forums, feel free to ask your questions here.

Alan...

Thank you for your reply.

My version of Pixel Editor is V4.3.18

License Level is Basic Plus

Disappointed that I will not be able to use Pixel Editor (without upgrading license) as my wife is already questioning my startup costs LOL.

If I do proceed with Superstar, can you tell me please what level I would need to upgrade to?

All of the 2_CCR 4_CCR 8_CCR etc.confuses me :-)

Will the SuperStar also accommodate a "STAR" on top of the tree as well?

We all understand the cost issue..  Yes, SuperStar will communicate and control anything in your show.  I sequence absolutely everything in SuperStar for Christmas.  In fact, I'm pausing from modifying Wizards In Winter using SuperStar to answer this forum post...

As for the licensing levels for SuperStar, It was originally written for CCR strings, so the licensing levels are based on that assumption.  However you can easily convert to non-CCR channels.  A CCR is 50 pixels or 150 channels (50 pixels times three channels per pixel), so a 2_CCR license is good for 100 pixels or 300 channels.  It does not care if lightss are RGB or not, it just adds up the total number of channels.  For example if you have a 24 channel DC controller that has six RGB devices (6 x 3 = 18 channels) and four white lights (4 channels), that totals 22 total channels.  Add four fully loaded 16 channel AC controllers (4 x 16 = 64 channels) and you have 86 total channels.  In my case, I have a 40 CCR license which is good for 6000 channels.  I currently have 5643 channels so I'm good to go (for now).  However I expect to be adding a couple hundred more channels this year and will likely need to up my SuperStar license level - that is already planned...

Note that you can do all your sequencing in SuperStar without a license at all - HOWEVER you need the license to export the sequence to Sequence Editor.  This means that you can play with SS for a while and then determine if you want to pay for it.  There is a learning curve with SS, but once you learn it, the capabilities are amazing.

Jim was quicker on the reply than I was, but since I had it typed up here is mine. I use both Pixel Editor and Superstar, Superstar gives me so much more control over the Pixels it is my "goto" sequencing program.

1 hour ago, mlswayze said:

Disappointed that I will not be able to use Pixel Editor (without upgrading license) as my wife is already questioning my startup costs LOL.

Yep, welcome aboard we are all in the same boat. :) What helped me get the wife on board with this hobby is I that sequenced her favorite song and showed her what was possible. Be extra diligent on the wife "Honey-Do list(s)" :P

If I do proceed with Superstar, can you tell me please what level I would need to upgrade to? All of the 2_CCR 4_CCR 8_CCR etc.confuses me :-)

In the LOR world it is all about channels. Your Pixie8 is a "smart" pixel controller, meaning you can use "smart" RGB LED's. These LED's have 3 channels R-G-B. I am assuming you bought your Pixie8 with 8 strands of pixels (a Pixie package deal) Each strand has 50 LED's. So the formula to figure out channels is 8 (strands) X 50 pixels (per strand) = 400 LED's.

400 LED's X 3 channels (R-G-B) = 1,200 channels. You would need a Superstar License 8 CCRs - 1200 Channels for $99.95 (ouch I know)

Yes, you will have to make a Visualizer file or create one from the Tools - Layout option in Superstar.

I take it you have not purchased a  Superstar license currently? You can still run the demo of Superstar and play around with the features. There are some good tutorials for Superstar that should get you going. They are located here, near the middle of the page named Superstar (Add-on) http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-levels/

The demo gives you a chance to play around and see what can be done. I don't think you are allowed to export in the demo mode, but you could see a representation of your prop on the screen.

If you decide to go this route (Superstar) there is other steps to make it work on your actual lights.

A couple of questions for you, so that anyone reading these post understand your level and equipment. It helps when people try and give advice

Is this your first venture into LOR?
Do you have any other light controllers?
Are you planning on running your shows from a PC? or a director of some sort?

Did you purchase a USB485-HS http://store.lightorama.com/usbrs485hs.html when you bought your Pixie8 (depending on your setup it may not be needed)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this hobby does cost. If you are starting off just with a Pixie8, then you can ease into more later. (when the wife's thinks you are genius for making the light blink in sequence. B)

Alan...

Thank you for your reply.

My version of Pixel Editor is V4.3.18

License Level is Basic Plus

If I do proceed with Superstar, can you tell me please what level I would need to upgrade to?

All of the 2_CCR 4_CCR 8_CCR etc.confuses me :-)

From one "new to pixel" member to another. Once you get your SS license set up, if you need help with setting up your matrix/ tree and cannot figure it out shoot me a pm and I will keep it in "new person" down to earth terminology. Some of us share our telephone numbers and work together over the phone. Made a lot of great friends here.

I can also tell you how to add images in easy terms. I did a write up that I share with those who ask for help, step by step to add pics/ gif's. So easy a caveman can do it. It helped sleeping at a Holiday Inn though.

JR

As JR said, there are a number of people who are more than willing to talk your ear off on the phone to help you learn.  I am one of those.  Can't help you on PE, but SuperStar, I'm pretty good.  Also if you ever get into E1.31 based controllers and need help with the LAN networking, I am very good with that.

• Like 1

I can not thank EVERYONE for the fantastic reply's!  I will be looking into all of the suggestions and ideas provided to me.  At this time, I guess I need to decide which will be the best for me between a PRO license -or- license for SuperStar. 

If anyone has suggestions to help me decide the best area to put my money I would appreciate it!  To help you better, at this time (LOL) I am only looking at a Christmas Tree, 3-D type Star on top of it, and maybe a few arches in the lawn.  I also am trying to keep it in a stand alone configuration where once programmed, I will not need a computer running to have the "show" run.

Thanks again!

7 hours ago, mlswayze said:

I can not thank EVERYONE for the fantastic reply's!  I will be looking into all of the suggestions and ideas provided to me.  At this time, I guess I need to decide which will be the best for me between a PRO license -or- license for SuperStar. 

If anyone has suggestions to help me decide the best area to put my money I would appreciate it!  To help you better, at this time (LOL) I am only looking at a Christmas Tree, 3-D type Star on top of it, and maybe a few arches in the lawn.  I also am trying to keep it in a stand alone configuration where once programmed, I will not need a computer running to have the "show" run.

Thanks again!

Lots of great people in this forum, either way whether you go SS or PE you are looking at a little additional cost. here is a video I created so you can get a feel for the Pixel Editor. Things will change hopefully soon with the S5 software but this will get you going.I have two more videos on my video page if you care to look at them.

Enjoy,

SPaschall