Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB permanent mounted lights

David Wolf

Trying to find out if anyone has found success with permanent mounted RGB lights or ribbons?  I hear of concerns of the wires / ribbons getting brittle due to the UV exposure from the sun.  I also hear concerns of yellowing of the bulbs due to extended UV exposure.  I have seen some encouraging looking solutions on line like Everlight and Trimlight that use channels under the soffits to hide the wires from sight and from the UV light.  Anyone have any experience with these?  Anyone know if the Everlight or Trimlight controllers could be tied into a LOR network?  Any of the standard LOR RGB products able to withstand permanent mounting and lasting several years?  Thanks.

I have CCPs mounted outside permanently for 4 years and they are still working just fine.  Some of the lenses are turning dark, but from the street, you can't tell.

Thanks Steve - watched your videos.  Very helpful and very cleaver design.  I'm guessing you cannot cut a CCP string to get proper length for the different sections of the roof line?  I would love to do this around the entire roof line (some peaks are close 35' high - getting too old to climb that high on a ladder :)

I've had CCRs outside for 5 years with no significant change in either appearance or performance.

Check out the photos starting about half way down on this page: http://www.newburghlights.org/Landscaping.html

Most of the ribbons have been there for a minimum of three or four years and some for almost six.  Yes, the silicon is a little dulled, but you can't tell when the lights are on.

I too have had my Dumb RGB Strip lights up for about 4 years now, and only have had to replace a couple small sections.  They have yellowed a little, but it's not noticeable.  The wires go into the eaves and through the attic and into the garage where I have 3 controllers mounted to the wall.  I use them most of the year for each holiday.  If you look at the video at around the 7:08 mark it shows how I hung them.  I do take the ones off around the Garage Door each year as they kept getting hit by the kids and other things. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5i2F72IyBY

I got a few ideas from Jim and put them to work around my yard as well.

post-12596-0-20812500-1424284153.jpgpost-12596-0-57108400-1424127247.jpg Yard lights.

House Lights

• The topic was locked