Light-O-Rama Forums

For Pixel tree, Individual nodes or use strips?

brichi

Thanks for reply K6ccc, always great to hear different setups and explanations and different point of views, you guys rock

I have 2 pixel trees in my display. One is 18x37 and the other is 24x90 - both use nodes not strips. Since they are not a standard size I can't use purchased sequences. However, because I use the Pixel Editor and PE effects scale well, I can play the same effects on both without issue.

Matt

I have 2 pixel trees in my display. One is 18x37 and the other is 24x90 - both use nodes not strips. Since they are not a standard size I can't use purchased sequences. However, because I use the Pixel Editor and PE effects scale well, I can play the same effects on both without issue.

Matt

Can the pixel editor import a SS sequence and scale it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, whitebuck said:

Can the pixel editor import a SS sequence and scale it?

Unfortunately not. However, I believe there is a way to do some scaling in SS - I don't know the details - that is a question best asked in the SS forum.

Matt

SS has "height" scaling, not "width". My pixel tree this past year was 16x75. SS makes it very easy to open a 16x50 tree and scale it to a 16x75 tree.

I actually really appreciate this topic! I was debating the same thing. . . Which pixels to go with on the tree, strips, or nodes?? Thankfully those two videos side by side, (well above and below) sealed my decision for me!

I'm going to go with the minority on this one, and do the nodes! I much prefer the look they provide! 

I used nodes to build mine. It is a 180 tree with 16 strands of 50 controlled with the pixie 16.  Mounted them using the stripes from Boscoyo Studios as well as there mega tree kit. All in all I was pretty pleased with the out come.

11 hours ago, cdlouke said:

I used nodes to build mine. It is a 180 tree with 16 strands of 50 controlled with the pixie 16.  Mounted them using the stripes from Boscoyo Studios as well as there mega tree kit. All in all I was pretty pleased with the out come.

being I'm doing similar but with strips, why go with a Pixie16? I can get all 16 strands to run off an 8 channel and I know I won't run anything else by that controller to use more channels

10 minutes ago, brichi said:

being I'm doing similar but with strips, why go with a Pixie16? I can get all 16 strands to run off an 8 channel and I know I won't run anything else by that controller to use more channels

First off if you use the Pixie8  that means you will need to run two strips per port and if you are going to use ws2811's then you will have to power inject the second strip on each port. Why create more problems then you have to when you can just use a Pixie16 and eliminate a problem?

• Like 1

not really, if I do a 8 foot tree I'm doing one strip so its 25 pixels up (75 leds) and 25 down so I'm only powering one 16 foot roll on 1 channel making it 2 lines out of 16 so thats a normal run

2 minutes ago, brichi said:

not really, if I do a 8 foot tree I'm doing one strip so its 25 pixels up (75 leds) and 25 down so I'm only powering one 16 foot roll on 1 channel making it 2 lines out of 16 so thats a normal run

Yes, you can do that but you will only be using 8 strips. I was under the impression you were using 16.

Also keep in mind, if you are planning on purchasing any sequences 99.9% of the sequences out there are programmed for 12 or 16 full length strips.

thanks, I'm doing my own, not purchasing, I am doing 8 strips, and cutting at top and using a connector to join them again so the bend won't be an issue. I can't do full 16 foot strips x16 being I can't get up that high, lol