Light-O-Rama Forums

Staring his year, what type rgb to use outline house

Tennessee17

Hi Gang.

New to this....expensive hobby.

I am looking for suggestions on which smart rgb types to use  for house outline including windows.

Researching.

C9 brilliant bulbs  4 inch or  8 inch  bulb separation

4 wire Rgb rope light  (most expensive option but probably easiest to hang

bullet type pixels with 3 inch spacing.

Any other suggestions  I do not know which the above will look the best.  Mixer of abve?   What spacing do most people use.

I will as be getting a 12 or 16 string ccr type mega tree.    Is there much visual difference between the 12 and the 16?

Plan on adding faces in later years.    My eye are ut running my billfold this year.

Thank you for your help.

Bill

For house outline the C9's would probably look great. I use C7 and C9 for my roofline (non rgb or brilliant) just led. My house if fairly big so smaller lights just don't look great.

Now is the time to jump on board since about every vendor is having a pre sale or Ray Wu- just Google him and visit his store.

Just a lot of resources at this moment since your are not having a crisis.

If you want to line the peaks there are some very nice light mounts that just go right over the peaks without drilling but they are all sold out.

You are in TN there are quite a few people in the area, maybe you can meet some. They just had their mini. Id start by looking at their stuff. Where I am at there is no close help. So I get all of my help from here, great bunch of lightsters here.

I can help you with singing faces when you get to that part. This will be my first year with RGB myself.

If you get the CCR tree from light o rama and light o rama controllers I have been told its pretty much plug and play.

Best of luck, welcome to the addiction

JR

Kind of depends on the look and fell you want.  I didn't know there were rgb  rope light or did you mean the rgb strip lights?

The c7/c9 bulb would provide a more traditional look.  I have used the Brillant bulbs in a pixel wreath and really like the product.

There are a number of 12mm pixel, c7 and c9 mounting products out there.  HC just started selling a 8ft platics mounting strip for c9s.   I forgot the  name but another product has c7/c9 mounting brackets that clip onto a rail that you can mount to the house. 

5 hours ago, Tennessee17 said:

Hi Gang.

I am looking for suggestions on which smart rgb types to use  for house outline including windows.

Researching.

Any other suggestions  I do not know which the above will look the best.  Mixer of abve?   What spacing do most people use.

I will as be getting a 12 or 16 string ccr type mega tree.    Is there much visual difference between the 12 and the 16?

Plan on adding faces in later years.    My eye are ut running my billfold this year.

Thank you for your help.

Bill

Cannysystems.com is having a presale for some nice clips to mount the lights to

On 1/27/2017 at 3:17 PM, dibblejr said:

For house outline the C9's would probably look great. I use C7 and C9 for my roofline (non rgb or brilliant) just led. My house if fairly big so smaller lights just don't look great.

Now is the time to jump on board since about every vendor is having a pre sale or Ray Wu- just Google him and visit his store.

Just a lot of resources at this moment since your are not having a crisis.

If you want to line the peaks there are some very nice light mounts that just go right over the peaks without drilling but they are all sold out.

You are in TN there are quite a few people in the area, maybe you can meet some. They just had their mini. Id start by looking at their stuff. Where I am at there is no close help. So I get all of my help from here, great bunch of lightsters here.

I can help you with singing faces when you get to that part. This will be my first year with RGB myself.

If you get the CCR tree from light o rama and light o rama controllers I have been told its pretty much plug and play.

Best of luck, welcome to the addiction

JR

thank you for your suggestions. Will certainly look into Ray Wu.  

i keep thinking about more things I want to add....lol

My preference is a larger bulb rather than strips.  Strips looks too "Las Vegas" and not enough "Christmas".  I have been using GE Color Effects bubs on my front eves for three years and really like the look.  I will be using more in 2017 for the peaks of the roof.  They come with 10 inch spacing, but I mount them less than that - about 7 inches.  The GECE bulbs are a little fatter but slightly shorter than a standard incan C9 bulb for a comparison.

On 1/27/2017 at 3:03 PM, Tennessee17 said:

Hi Gang.

Researching.

Thank you for your help.

Bill

Welcome to the madness Bill!! 

Without knowing what "4 wire RGB rope light" you are looking at, try taking a look at these, or these. (I believe Ray Wu has similar items on his site) They are both what I use (mainly for outlining) in my display. I have been really happy with them, and I have never had any problems with them. I am looking at adding these to the 2018 show for the actual outline up on the roof. (replacing the current simple LED lights.) However, as you can see those get really pricey really quickly!

I have found the pixel strips are really great for outlining the house, and once they are mounted to their prop they are easy to put up and take down. Feel free to take a look at some of my videos from this year to get an idea of what the strips can do, and how they can look.

Best of luck, and let us know if you have any questions!
~Matt