Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini Trees

Dave76

How is everyone making mini trees? Last year I used tomato cages with leds but switching to pixels this year (probably squares) and looking for ideas.

Thanks!

I also replaced my single-color LED strings on my tomato cage mini trees with RGB nodes.  I used bullet nodes - not sure how flat ones would look being directional like they are.  I made no effort to keep them uniform - random is just fine with me.  I used 50 nodes per tree, and as bright as they are I'm glad I didn't use more than that.

• Like 2

All of my tomato cages are wrapped with chicken wire.  I ziptied 100 bullet nodes in a spiral up the tree.    I had 58 mini trees last year.  Adding more for 2017.  I love mini trees!

• Like 2

I got lucky and WalMart had these "tomato trellis's" that have a spiral pattern to them, replaced my old style with those.

5 minutes ago, caniac said:

I got lucky and WalMart had these "tomato trellis's" that have a spiral pattern to them, replaced my old style with those.

I have about 30 more cages out back. I used to have a huge garden. Surprised Walmart would have them this time of year, great find.

actually found them a couple of years ago after someone here posted a pic, took going to two different WalMarts to find what I needed.

Those are nice, currently out of stock at wally world. They were around $6 when they had them.

Edited by dibblejr

may have them back around April or May.  Found more last spring to add to what we purchased prior year so it may be a common staple.

56 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

... Beware the sellers are awefully proud of their products.

Holy cow!  That might be the understatement of the month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Simmons said:

Holy cow!  That might be the understatement of the month.

Yeah, I couldn't believe my eyes! Some good ideas though.

Hmmm! A Mig welder (runs on 120V) is under $200

Bundles of ceiling grid wire under $30

if you are lucky.to have a metal supply nearby,  3/16 or 1/4 rod is available in 20' lengths way cheaper than those cut lengths.

<tip> strap a long  piece of 2"PVC to your roof rack with a solid plug forward for an easy haul

I just use tomato cages doubled up and a ton of harbor freight zip ties. But if I find those plastic ones that Caniac uses from Walmart I will probably grab a bunch.

19 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I just use tomato cages doubled up and a ton of harbor freight zip ties. But if I find those plastic ones that Caniac uses from Walmart I will probably grab a bunch.

those aren't plastic but 1/4 inch round stock (steel).  for zip ties you need to go to www.monoprice.com, I buy 10,000 zip ties for the price of two packages (100ct) at Harbor Freight.  and that is including the shipping!!  Have a 30gallon tote I keep my zip ties in, have all major sizes and more than a few colors.  Most are black though because that color is also UV rated.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, caniac said:

those aren't plastic but 1/4 inch round stock (steel).  for zip ties you need to go to www.monoprice.com, I buy 10,000 zip ties for the price of two packages (100ct) at Harbor Freight.  and that is including the shipping!!  Have a 30gallon tote I keep my zip ties in, have all major sizes and more than a few colors.  Most are black though because that color is also UV rated.

Gonna go there now, I never seem to have enough. Thanks