Light-O-Rama Forums

Power Supply Cooling Fans

sticks4legs

2 of the cooling fans on my 12V 350W power supplies are starting to growl, i assume its bad bearings? I removed them and shot them with some white lithium spray..LOL.. I just need them to get me through 12 more nights.  If they fail will Canadian cold temps keep the PS cool enough?  Let me know your thoughts....

Also, if anyone in Canada has any spares for sale let me know.

Edited by sticks4legs

If they are exposed to the cold, you will likely be OK.  Now if the power supply is inside a box, that may not be the case.  The 350W power supply that powers my pixel tree is tucked under the eves to my house.  Even here in Southern California, I have never heard the power supply fan kick on.  However the ones that are not in the cold air do run.

Power_supply.sm.jpg

8 hours ago, sticks4legs said:

2 of the cooling fans on my 12V 350W power supplies are starting to growl, i assume its bad bearings? I removed them and shot them with some white lithium spray..LOL.. I just need them to get me through 12 more nights.  If they fail will Canadian cold temps keep the PS cool enough?  Let me know your thoughts....

Also, if anyone in Canada has any spares for sale let me know.

I'm sure you could find a cheap replacement fan at Princess Auto

if the fans are kicking in, it means the supply is reaching high enough temperatures to need them. I got a replacement for one of mine at Newegg.com. Lots of choices there.

3 hours ago, bobschm said:

if the fans are kicking in, it means the supply is reaching high enough temperatures to need them. I got a replacement for one of mine at Newegg.com. Lots of choices there.

I have two different types.  On a couple units the cooling fans are always on a low speed, even with nothing connected to 12 volt output immediately whey they are plugged in to 120 volt.  The cooling fans speed up with draw.  The other units only turn on when they reach a certain temp and I have yet to hear any of them ever turn on.  Its the supplies where the fans run constantly that are starting to fail.  Cheap components probably not meant to spin 24/7

The fact that I've never heard the others turn on makes me a little more relaxed they will make it the next 12 days.

I'm also going to try an computer parts store today, but my first attempt was not succesfull.  I don't need massive CPU fans

2 hours ago, sticks4legs said:

I have two different types.  On a couple units the cooling fans are always on a low speed, even with nothing connected to 12 volt output immediately whey they are plugged in to 120 volt.  The cooling fans speed up with draw.  The other units only turn on when they reach a certain temp and I have yet to hear any of them ever turn on.  Its the supplies where the fans run constantly that are starting to fail.  Cheap components probably not meant to spin 24/7

The fact that I've never heard the others turn on makes me a little more relaxed they will make it the next 12 days.

I'm also going to try an computer parts store today, but my first attempt was not succesfull.  I don't need massive CPU fans

As I said earlier. I saw some small CPU fans in Princess auto a couple of days ago. 

princess auto, 2 stores not far from Sherwood park

Edited by robongar

If it helps put your mind at ease for the next 12 days, I have 2 that do the same thing, and I used them all last year and so far this year.

19 hours ago, robongar said:

As I said earlier. I saw some small CPU fans in Princess auto a couple of days ago. 

princess auto, 2 stores not far from Sherwood park

I went by Princess auto, The one they had is too big to mount inside the the case but if last minute fix needed I could mount it external.

16 hours ago, Little_b said:

If it helps put your mind at ease for the next 12 days, I have 2 that do the same thing, and I used them all last year and so far this year.

Always good to hear.

Thanks

• The topic was locked