Light-O-Rama Forums

E1.31 Channel controlling 3 pixels?!

jtomason

More RGB newbie frustration....  Help is much appreciated. 

Testing out my AlphaPix and a HC supplied RGB strip, and running into problems.   I added the AlphaPix controller to S4 Advanced and configured Channel 1 as Universe 1, ID 1; Channel 2 as Universe 1, ID2, and Channel 3 as Universe 1, ID 3.   To my understanding, that should be the red, green, and blue channels for the first pixel in the string.   

I draw a few seconds worth of "ON" on channel 1, and play the sequence, and the first *3* pixels come on as red.  Channel 2 is the first 3 pixels in green. and channel 3 is the first 3 pixels in blue.

The strip lights up individual pixels when I test it with the AlphaPix test menu.

What am I doing wrong?

Edited by jtomason

You need to setup the Alphapix using e1.31.  Plus it's a smart controller not a dumb controller so the RGB setup you are trying to do doesn't apply.  In the middle of this page there are videos showing how to hook up your controller.

http://www.holidaycoro.com/AlphaPix-4-V3-RGB-Pixel-Controller-p/722-v3.htm

Edited by B.Y.R.G.

The AlphaPix was set up following the instructions on that page.   The strip is a strip of smart pixels - not a dumb RGB strip - sorry if I didn't make that clear.   They were shipped together as part of HC's 4 Arch package.  

The issue is that I can't seem to figure out how to sequence it properly in SE.  

Take a look at your strip and this photo:

Planter_strip_backfeed.jpg

This is a WS2811 12 volt strip that has ten 2811 chips per meter, but 30 RGB LEDs per meter.  I'm going to explain this assuming you know nothing (although that's not likely the case, I don't want to miss something).  Near the right edge of the second brick, you can see three horizontal lines.  Those are the copper junctions between each "pixel" of the strip.  Just to the left of that junction (about the middle of the second brick) you can see the square white colored RGB LED.  Near the left edge of the second brick, you can see a second square white RGB LED.  Just barely visible next to the right edge of the blue heat shrink tubing is a third square white RGB LED.  Just to the right of that third LED is the black 2811 chip that controls the three  RGB LEDs.  This happens to be the 94th pixel of this strip and the cable is feeding power injection to the end of the strip.  Data flow is from right to left in this photo.  On this strip, whatever the software sends for the 94th pixel will light all three LEDs.  Most (NOT ALL) 12 volt strips are this way.  A strip can also be built with one LED per chip.  In that case, there would be the same number of chips as LEDs and when a "pixel" is commanded, only one LED would light.  In some cases, the chip is built into the same housing as the LED, and in some cases, it's not.  This one to one ratio is the norm for 5 volt pixels and SOME 12 volt pixels  This photo is 5 volt WS2811 pixels that have the chip in the same housing as the LED.  Each LED is addressable because of this one to one ratio.

Star_center_fill_top.sm.jpg

So, do your strips have the same number of chips as RGB LEDs or is there three RGB LEDs per chip?

6 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

did you add the channels in the sequencer as rgb

Yes - I think correctly.  I tried to upload a screen capture as an image, but apparently the image must be postage stamp sized. :)  

RGB channel settings show Red is DMX Universe 1, Circuit 1.  Green is U1, C2, Blue is U1, C3.  

4 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Take a look at your strip and this photo:

Planter_strip_backfeed.jpg

This is a WS2811 12 volt strip that has ten 2811 chips per meter, but 30 RGB LEDs per meter.  I'm going to explain this assuming you know nothing (although that's not likely the case, I don't want to miss something).  Near the right edge of the second brick, you can see three horizontal lines.  Those are the copper junctions between each "pixel" of the strip.  Just to the left of that junction (about the middle of the second brick) you can see the square white colored RGB LED.  Near the left edge of the second brick, you can see a second square white RGB LED.  Just barely visible next to the right edge of the blue heat shrink tubing is a third square white RGB LED.  Just to the right of that third LED is the black 2811 chip that controls the three  RGB LEDs.  This happens to be the 94th pixel of this strip and the cable is feeding power injection to the end of the strip.  Data flow is from right to left in this photo.  On this strip, whatever the software sends for the 94th pixel will light all three LEDs.  Most (NOT ALL) 12 volt strips are this way.  A strip can also be built with one LED per chip.  In that case, there would be the same number of chips as LEDs and when a "pixel" is commanded, only one LED would light.  In some cases, the chip is built into the same housing as the LED, and in some cases, it's not.  This one to one ratio is the norm for 5 volt pixels and SOME 12 volt pixels  This photo is 5 volt WS2811 pixels that have the chip in the same housing as the LED.  Each LED is addressable because of this one to one ratio.

Star_center_fill_top.sm.jpg

So, do your strips have the same number of chips as RGB LEDs or is there three RGB LEDs per chip?

Yeah, that's the issue..  3 LEDs per segment.   GAH, I never really looked at the strip.   Thanks.  I feel stupid now.   #newbie

2 minutes ago, jtomason said:

Yeah, that's the issue..  3 LEDs per segment.   GAH, I never really looked at the strip.   Thanks.  I feel stupid now.   #newbie

Don't feel stupid - we all had to learn it some time.  That's why I took the time to give the detailed explanation.  Conveniently I already the photos on my website.  Only had to link them...