Light-O-Rama Forums

First post of our home, 75% complete

JPat

Hi all, we have not got the director figured out so playing the show on demand.  There are still 4 fire sticks, and 4 other channels that are not wired yet but feverishly trying each night.  

We purchased the controllers and mini trees on Black Friday.  Some said it was impossible to get a show up and running this year but this is one of our 5 songs with the hopes to get another 5 complete by the weekend.  This sequence (again all channels including 4 fire sticks not wired) was put together by my 15yo daughter that has spent over 50hrs this past week in the software.

Edited by JPat
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Looking good!  Guess with all the sequencing the homework took a hit.:D  Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words, and she was actually outside doing homework while I was wiring prior to testing the partial show.  The next question is where do I get one of those fancy LOR signatures?

3 minutes ago, JPat said:

Thanks for the kind words, and she was actually outside doing homework while I was wiring prior to testing the partial show.  The next question is where do I get one of those fancy LOR signatures?

Try this....... http://www.planetchristmas.com/signatures/

• Like 1

On 12/5/2016 at 8:28 PM, JPat said:

Hi all, we have not got the director figured out so playing the show on demand.  There are still 4 fire sticks, and 4 other channels that are not wired yet but feverishly trying each night.  

We purchased the controllers and mini trees on Black Friday.  Some said it was impossible to get a show up and running this year but this is one of our 5 songs with the hopes to get another 5 complete by the weekend.  This sequence (again all channels including 4 fire sticks not wired) was put together by my 15yo daughter that has spent over 50hrs this past week in the software.

Tell me about your set up.

How many channel's

How tall are your trees and did you make them, if so out of what. 

This is a very clean and simple show with lots of action.  Don't take simple as a negative, your show is exactly what I would like to do with my house next year.  More doesn't mean better , some light shows may have more lights but look messy.

Edit: This is a very hard song to program too.  I would not try it even in my 3rd year.  Amazing job on that!

Edited by Jefffrompawpaw

6 hours ago, Jefffrompawpaw said:

How many channel's

This is a very clean and simple show with lots of action.  Don't take simple as a negative, your show is exactly what I would like to do with my house next year.  More doesn't mean better , some light shows may have more lights but look messy.

Edit: This is a very hard song to program too.  I would not try it even in my 3rd year.  Amazing job on that!

Thanks for kind words.  Here is a fully finished vid of part of the same song as we completed powering all props.

31497545905_a5e201a781_b.jpgTSO by Justin Patterson, on Flickr

7 hours ago, Jefffrompawpaw said:

How many channel's

Set up is actually simple but still a work in progress.  We have always liked the Holdman style of white, red and green so went in that direction.   Believe it or not, this is our first year and we purchased the controllers and trees on Black Friday.  The house was basically complete as a static show and then pulled the trigger after the wifey gave me the go on the LOR gear.  I wouldn't have been able to do it without the help and support of my family and especially my 15yo daughter that has been the mad elf sequencing in all of her spare time.

I purchased the trees from 3g, they are 30" and are strung with 5mm LED white, red and green.  Roof line is LED icicles,  with a red/green LED C9 retros and same for perimeter of which I made years back for another home that we lived in.  The fire sticks (seen in new vid) are 4 channels with 100 incan's (ran out of LED's) per channel.

Overall we are using 36 of 48 channels leaving 12 for next year as I will be adding two large palms on each side of the drives and stringing them with red, green and white.

I may also add another string of C9's to the roof making one green and the other red giving us the ability to go full red, green or white on demand.

Edited by JPat

Looks good! I did the same thing as you in 2011, I put my first show together in a week with a $100 budget... :lol: 

What you do in year 2 will be awesome!

Edited by canadianchristmas
spelling Error

4 hours ago, canadianchristmas said:

Looks good! I did the same thing as you in 2011, I put my first show together in a week with a $100 budget... :lol: 

Thanks.

Time wise we are close, budget wise not so much.  I am in with a Showtime central package and a total of 3 controllers, but wished that I could do this on $100.  

I am already going in an working on small changes in existing sequences as well as building others, but noticing that working with the software is becoming less cumbersome as time goes on.  Next year we will add 12 more channels with palm trees on each side of driveway to give us more vertical lift so we are not limited to firesticks and trees.

5 hours ago, canadianchristmas said:

Did you get a free controller or something?  Because even for a small display, that $100 won't even get you enough lights to have a decent display.....even in 2011.  Unless Goodwill has a LOR section I'm missing when I peruse their stuff.

Edited by B.Y.R.G.

4 hours ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Did you get a free controller or something?  Because even for a small display, that $100 won't even get you enough lights to have a decent display.....even in 2011.  Unless Goodwill has a LOR section I'm missing when I peruse their stuff.

I did not use LOR yet...  I was playing with the SE at the time but did not want to spend the money yet. My 2011 show was 8 channels, it was run off a kit-74 relay board in vixen 2 the relay board ran off the computers parallel printer port so I ran a super old  desktop with windows xp that had a printer port.  If you watch the video I linked in my above post you can hear the clicks of the mechanical relays if you listen carefully :D. I upgraded to LOR and jumped into pixels in 2012 and then stopped using LOR software and switched over to xlights in 2014 because I was having lag issues with LOR at the time.

Sorry for hijacking the thread did not mean too! But that is my history with synchronized lighting,,,

Edited by canadianchristmas
  • Like 1

On 08/12/2016 at 5:26 AM, Jefffrompawpaw said:

I would say that it is the easiest song I have ever programmed.

Everyone in this hobby has programmed it. Some don't have it in their show, but everyone has programmed it at some time.

It was the first song I ever did.

On 12/10/2016 at 5:16 AM, EmmienLightFan said:

I would say that it is the easiest song I have ever programmed.

Everyone in this hobby has programmed it. Some don't have it in their show, but everyone has programmed it at some time.

It was the first song I ever did.

Post your video  and show your programming skills Hotshot!

• Like 1

• The topic was locked