Light-O-Rama Forums

Some lights staying on extremely dim

zvacman

Ok, new problem just cropped up. Light are all supposed to be off, but several channels on my last CTB16 controller are leaving the lights on extremely dim. I'd say at about 2-3%. Here's where it gets weird. Although currently it is the last controller because I haven't got the data cable run to what will really be my last controller. Should I leave everything alone until I connect the last controller or should I go ahead and make a terminator cable to be safe? Better question is will a terminator solve this problem?

As always, Thanks

Z

Are they LED lights.  If so, you probably just need to add a snubber.

An easy way to tell is to plug in an incandescent night light into the end of the strings that are staying on.  If the strings goes out then you need a snubber.  You can use the night light, a plug in air freshener will work too.

Some people make their own snubbers.

Being the last controller in line has nothing to do with anything.   Do a reset on the controller and try a snubber.

Thanks for the replies. I don't want to be a pain in the rear, but why snubbers  on one controller? I am running a total of 17 controllers and 6 out of 6 channels on this one controller are staying on dim and none on any of the other 16 controllers. Ok, let's say that snubbers are going to be my fix. Does anyone know how to make small ones that would be inconspicuous? The thought of having 16 Glade Plugins hanging off of my house isn't very appealing. 

Thanks, Z

It may depend on how many strings are attached to the channels.   If there are fewer LED strings attached to these channels, it might explain it.  Also if these strings are from a different manufacturer could make a difference.

A snubber is basically a resistor from the hot to the neutral.  I found this on Plant Christmas.

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?/topic/36988-easiest-terminatorssnubbers-to-make/ 

59 minutes ago, LORisAwesome said:

It may depend on how many strings are attached to the channels.   If there are fewer LED strings attached to these channels, it might explain it.  Also if these strings are from a different manufacturer could make a difference.

A snubber is basically a resistor from the hot to the neutral.  I found this on Plant Christmas.

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?/topic/36988-easiest-terminatorssnubbers-to-make/ 

Thank you very much. I was only able to find 1/2 watt 47K locally.  Hopefully that will be sufficient.

Z

Snubber, night light, Glade plug in, 2000 led's added to the end all no help. Lights are still on at about 2%. I already used my spare controller when I dropped a channel on another. Is there possibly something screwed up in my settings somewhere? I am running them all in DMX via a interface and crossover cables if that matters, but the rest are all fine.

Z

I just changed the controller out with the one tha has a bad channel (just skipped the bad one in my channel config). The lights are still on. Just for grins I tried the snubbers, plug in, night light and 1000 led's, still on. These are all the same lights that I used in the exact same place I used them last year so brand or manufacturer can't be the issue. I really don't want to have these lights on, although extremely dim, 24/7 until New Years. Anything brilliant or simple I should look for?

Thanks, Z

Well the only common denominator with all of my trial and error that I didn't try changing was the supply cord. Holy crap, I've been wasting so much precious time screwing around and it was the extension cord. Don't know why and frankly I don't care, it's fixed!  Onward and upward the show must go on!

Z

The problem was your hot and neutral was reversed on the drop cord. I had the same thing happen to me but with an outlet at a new house once. It puts the hot on the wrong side of the board. I now always test my supply cords after I plug them in with a tester like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Gear-3-Wire-Receptacle-50542/dp/B002LZTKIA

56 minutes ago, millersound1 said:

The problem was your hot and neutral was reversed on the drop cord. I had the same thing happen to me but with an outlet at a new house once. It puts the hot on the wrong side of the board. I now always test my supply cords after I plug them in with a tester like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Gear-3-Wire-Receptacle-50542/dp/B002LZTKIA

I never did anything with the drop cord, just changed the extension cord. I built all of my controllers from the solder kits and am very meticulous. I suppose it could be possible that the previous cord was build wrong right from the factory, it was brand new that's why it didn't occur to me that it could be bad. I appreciate the input though, Merry Christmas!

Z

17 minutes ago, zvacman said:

I never did anything with the drop cord, just changed the extension cord. I built all of my controllers from the solder kits and am very meticulous. I suppose it could be possible that the previous cord was build wrong right from the factory, it was brand new that's why it didn't occur to me that it could be bad. I appreciate the input though, Merry Christmas!

Z

Yes the extension cord was it made or bought. Must be a location thing we always call our extension cords drop cords.

I just bought a brand new 30' green outside extension cord that was junk...female end missing the contact... brand new controller not powering up at the prop, when I just assigned the unit ID in the house and it worked fine...Had me going for a second:huh: so anything is possible with this hobby. Goes to show the KISS metaphor stands true.

K eep

I t

S imple

S tupid 

38 minutes ago, millersound1 said:

Yes the extension cord was it made or bought. Must be a location thing we always call our extension cords drop cords.

Funny thing is it was one of the very few that I have that I didn't make, friggin Chinese crap. I own a vacuum store and I generate 1000's of feet of various length cord stock per year and generally only need to put the female ends on. I was thinking you meant the supply cord because it "drops" out of the bottom of the controller. 

Z

I never would have guessed that it was the extension cord.  Wow.  I'll have to remember that one.

Jerry