Light-O-Rama Forums

Cat 5 unused wires

Duke

Can anyone tell me which of the Cat 5 wires are not used?
I would like to know via color codes. I don't know the pin numbers.
I used the 'B' configuration to wire mine and I would like to use the spares to make an alarm circuit.

If any of the cat 5 cables are cut or disconnected a relay powered by a 12 volt landscape transformer will de-energize and it's contacts would close thus completing the circuit for 110v floods and siren. Cool 'eh?

odd numbers are primary color. even numbers are solid. pin 1 w/or- 2 or- 3 w/gr- 4 blue- 5 w/bl-6 green- 7 w/br- 8 br

i believe the controlers are usock so pins 3 thru 6 are used

the cable LOR provides you with is terminated on 568B
which pairs are not used dan would have to answer that...but my guess would be the brown pair, but wait for him to say

http://www.broadbandutopia.com/steiatia568e.html

9.1 Standard EIA/TIA T568A
(also called ISDN, previously called EIA)

Pin Wire Color
=== ==========
/--T3 1 White/Green
Pair3 --R3 2 Green
/----------T2 3 White/Orange
/ /-R1 4 Blue
pair2 pair1 -T1 5 White/Blue
----------R2 6 Orange
/--T4 7 White/Brown
pair4 --R4 8 Brown

9.2 Standard EIA/TIA T568B
(also called AT&T specification, previously called 258A)

/--T2 1 White/Orange
pair2 --R2 2 Orange
/----------T3 3 White/Green
/ /-R1 4 Blue
pair3 pair1 -T1 5 White/Blue
----------R3 6 Green
/--T4 7 White/Brown
pair4 --R4 8 Brown

9.3 USOC (Universal Service Order Code)

8-pins 6-pins
| |
/-------------T4 1 White/Brown
/ /---------T3 2 1 White/Green
/ / /-----T2 3 2 White/Orange
/ / / /-R1 4 3 Blue
pr4 pr3 pr2 pr1-T1 5 4 White/Blue
-----R2 6 5 Orange
---------R3 7 6 Green
-------------R4 8 Brown

From a fast and dirty LOR forum search. Maybe something here will help you.

LOR Hardware > Software hangs up! (7 replies - 126 views) Tue Nov 27th, 2007

When you say "two conductor phone cable" do you really mean "two pair"? LOR uses two pairs -- one for data, one for power. The ...

General LOR Questions > Cat-5 (13 replies - 521 views) Sat Jun 2nd, 2007

terminate pairs in the following order (ive done 1000s of these at work) pin 1-white/orange pin 2-orange/white pin 3-white/green pin 4-blue/white pin 5-white/blue pin 6-green/white pin 7-white brown pin 8-brown/white white is primary, and ...

General LOR Questions > Cat5E SC485 Y cable (8 replies - 335 views) Fri Apr 27th, 2007

As others said, the center two pins (4 and 5) are used for the signaling. Pins 3 and 6 are used for power, but you ...

Thanks to all for your help.

I hope I don't do anything that may interfere with any future plans that LOR may have by using these. If so, it would not be to hard to undo or revise.

Thanks again!

johnny christmas wrote:

which pairs are not used dan would have to answer that...but my guess would be the brown pair, but wait for him to say

I took a good look at the PC board of my CTB16PC. I found that pins 1-2 (orange-white) and pins 7-8 (brown-white) did not go anywhere other than jumpered directly to the other RJ45 socket.

I also took my USB485B apart and found that pins 1-2 and pins 7-8 were not connected to anything. I did a little modification by connecting pins 1,2,7,8 of one RJ45 to the other. Now I run audio over the brown-white pair. I connected a 1-watt audio amplifier to a transformer that changes 8-ohm to 500-ohm, where it travels over 100 feet to an outdoor speaker. It works very well.

If LOR has future plans for those extra pairs, there will have to be hardware upgrades on both the controller and the computer end. It would also mean that phone cable would no longer be allowed where those pairs are used. I'm not holding my breath.

Steven wrote:

[snip]
If LOR has future plans for those extra pairs, there will have to be hardware upgrades on both the controller and the computer end. It would also mean that phone cable would no longer be allowed where those pairs are used. I'm not holding my breath.

Good thing you are not holding your breath. We currenly have no plans for the extra 4 wires in the Cat5 cable.

Dan