Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone experincing LAG in playback on display?

Robert Burton

Running 4.34 PRO S4. Have 960 pixel tree, 1880 pixels on the house, 336 pixels on snowflakes. Running 7 LOR controllers, various dumb rgb controllers, pixcon16, several Sandevices, and one Falcon. I have one file I just tried to run thru SE and it started bogging down midway. Seemed to catch up though towards the end. I have another file that is in the current playlist that actually skips almost 1/2 sec to 1 sec, then catches up. It is running in show console and is compressed.

Didn't really want to upgrade at this point since I'm in the middle of running things. However, nothing is showing up in the release notes of improved performance... unless I missed something. Running 4gig ram with Win10.

Ideas?

Keep in mind that the show player takes FAR less CPU horsepower than playing via Sequence Editor.  I assume all or most of the pixels is via E1.31.  That takes quite a bit of CPU horsepower because with DMX, the level of every channel has to be computed every 23 mSec.  If your sequences are created in SuperStar or Pixel Editor, you can play them as intensity files, which solves the DMX level problem.

Hey Guys.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am running 22 universes right now. Some are maxed out while a few are not. I am running E1.31. From there several of the controllers output the dmx to the controllers that are dmx only. Funny thing is that it is not elements or controllers lagging, the whole show seems to stumble. The only thing I'm doing in PE is to visualize. Not using it to sequence with. Also don't own Superstar.

Try playing with the show player, rather than SE and see what it does.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Ok Jim that seemed to help. At least that run of it. That was only the pixels. Now I get to add in all the dumb rgb stuff and all the incans. Fingers crossed!

Jim (and anyone else that wants to chime in),

Still have one chart that is skipping almost a full second, then catches up with itself. Just finished another sequence that literally lags in the middle of one section then jumps right back into where it should be.

I won't retype what I'm doing. However I am running this as a compressed sequence. I've never transferred anything into PE and tried to run it that way. Several other sequences are running just fine. Would transferring it into another type of sequence that LOR would play... would that help and how do I go about it. Honestly am trying to do more sequences (little behind this year) and don't have time to trouble shoot this. I may have to change that part of the sequence just to see if that will fix it, but really not wanting to. Ideas?

I'm not the expert on PE as I don't use it, but if you can import the sequence into PE and then export that back to SE, it will play as an intensity file.  I know that in my case, p,laying from an intensity file (from SuperStar) solved my issues last year with running out of CPU horsepower.

Speaking of that, if you bring up the Windows Task Manager, it will show the percentage of CPU and memory utilization.  In my case, I could see that I was maxing out the CPU.  Note that I have thousands of channels of DMX via E1.31 which is a CPU hog compared to LOR channels.  The intensity files eliminates most of that CPU loading.

Jim I'm going to have to read up on how to import then export. I tried it and all it gave me was another .lms file. I did "Save Intensity Data" and got a file. However, not sure what to do with that. I had it in the folder that the .lms file was in. Compressed the file, made a .lss file and played it back. Still same old thing. I have right at 11,000 channels of dmx and LOR as well running via e1.31. So it does sound like a similar issue. I just don't think I am doing the right thing to get this file back into the Showplayer.

So, I read the power point from the website. Looks like I have to sequence in PE in order to get a intensity file. Is that correct?