Light-O-Rama Forums

S2 Releases

LightORamaDan

There has been some confusion on S2 releases. Let me fill you in on what is happening.

The S2 software functionality as it exists today is the initial release of S2. It would be on CD now except that we have not completed the licensing. Unlike LOR I, S2 will have license keys to help protect us from piracy. The S2 software that people are using today is not licensed and is not secured and thus has a time lock in it that goes off in June. Well before June we will have distributed the licensed version and keys so that everyone is good to go.

There will be another release of S2 later this year. It will have some additional enhancements and it MAY require protocol changes. If it does require protocol changes we will supply firmware upgrades for LOR controllers either in the form of firmware files or in rare cases chip replacement. 97% of controllers can be upgraded via firmware.

We have not decided how we will implement the new features. No matter what way we go, if you have a card that works with the LOR protocol today, that card will work on the LOR network in the future. We will of course make required firmware changes for cards made by LOR and we will make changes for cards made by other vendors who have copied the LOR protocol.

The exact list of features in the first update of S2 is not ready for distribution. The exact timing of this release is also not determined. We plan to have the first update of S2 out in time to make it useful for this holiday season. What we need to do now is get S2 selling in the store and get the licensed version out to all users that want it. That is our highest priority.

Best regards,
Dan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LightORamaDan

• Denny

• cmoore60

• Owen Holman

What is firmware? I keep hearing that it will be a frimware upgrade but I have no clue as to what that means. And a chip replacement means that I have to take a chip out and put a new one it?

Firmware is the software that is loaded in the microcontroller on your LOR board. Unless you have a very old LOR controller you should not need to replace any chips. There is a bootloader installed on the microcontroller that allows you to load new firmware without replacing the chip.

tom.

Correct, you will download it and then connect each controller to the computer to transfer the firmware to the board. According to Dan, this new protocol and firmware upgrade will open all kinds of new possibilities for the LOR system.

LightORamaDan wrote:

We plan to have the first update of S2 out in time to make it useful for this holiday season.

Hello? Today was Pi Day. That's a holiday! :dude:

Thanks for the clarification.

LightORamaDan wrote:

We have not decided how we will implement the new features. No matter what way we go, if you have a card that works with the LOR protocol today, that card will work on the LOR network in the future. We will of course make required firmware changes for cards made by LOR and we will make changes for cards made by other vendors who have copied the LOR protocol.

So If I read this right if I have boards from those other guys, they will continue to be useful after these changes. If that's the case all I can say is WOW..that is customer service. I do appreciate it. Since that other software crapped out on me last season, I'm sold on LOR software it saved my display in 07 and as I add boards they will be LOR. Thanks

The S2 software that people are using today is not licensed and is not secured and thus has a time lock in it that goes off in June.

So....after June the software on my computer will not work, or is it that you cannot download this version after June?

Well before June we will have distributed the licensed version and keys so that everyone is good to go.

How will everyone receive the licensed version? A CD in the mail, another download?? Do we need to apply for a copy?

silly questions, I know.

Guest wbottomley

Paul B. Anderson wrote:

The S2 software that people are using today is not licensed and is not secured and thus has a time lock in it that goes off in June.

So....after June the software on my computer will not work, or is it that you cannot download this version after June?

Well before June we will have distributed the licensed version and keys so that everyone is good to go.

How will everyone receive the licensed version? A CD in the mail, another download?? Do we need to apply for a copy?

silly questions, I know.

Paul... stay tuned to this forum.

I'm 100% sure Dan will make an announcement about when and where to get it. More than likely it will be a downloadable upgrade.

I believe that Dan said it would be downloaded, but a CD would be availabe for a nominal fee to cover mailing.

Will the License be tied to a single computer ? I have a system that I use to sequence with,
and an old laptop that I run the show with. I believe the LOR1 license agreement allowed
this. Will the new on be similar ?

Tim

Tim Benson wrote:

Will the License be tied to a single computer ? I have a system that I use to sequence with,
and an old laptop that I run the show with. I believe the LOR1 license agreement allowed
this. Will the new on be similar ?

Tim

I believey Dan said it would be a House Hold / Family License (Somethign Like that) - so any computer in your home. Please Correct me if I am wrong.

Harriosn

No correction, just confirmation, the quote is extracted from this thread:

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=16141

LightORamaDan wrote:

S2 will be available on disk and it will be a minimal charge for the upgrade on CD (just S&H charges). The biggest holdup in the final release of the software has been the method of distribution. We want to get a better tracking mechanism into place to help protect our very large investment in the software.

One thing that we have agreed to is that S2 will be a household/family licensed product so you can install it on all of your machines (and you work machine;)).

We are not selling S2 yet and there isn't a way to pre-purchase the CD.

- Kevin

-klb- wrote:

No correction, just confirmation, the quote is extracted from this thread:

LightORamaDan wrote:

S2 will be available on disk and it will be a minimal charge for the upgrade on CD (just S&H charges). The biggest holdup in the final release of the software has been the method of distribution. We want to get a better tracking mechanism into place to help protect our very large investment in the software.

One thing that we have agreed to is that S2 will be a household/family licensed product so you can install it on all of your machines (and you work machine;)).

We are not selling S2 yet and there isn't a way to pre-purchase the CD.

- Kevin

Thank's Kevin

Harrison

thedementedelf wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:

So If I read this right if I have boards from those other guys, they will continue to be useful after these changes. If that's the case all I can say is WOW..that is customer service. I do appreciate it. Since that other software crapped out on me last season, I'm sold on LOR software it saved my display in 07 and as I add boards they will be LOR. Thanks

You read it correctly!

• 1 month later...

Any update on when the formal S2 release will be. I have been waiting to convert over to S2 until the version with all the license stuff is available. Then, when it is available how will it be distributed. On CD? Do we place an order on the LOR web site? Etc.

Scott,

Maybe Dan or John will comment on the update for the exact date, but the word is that the current license model runs out in June. Not certain exactly which date.

However, that should not stop you from downloading and getting used to S2 right now. It has been stated many times that the 2.0.14 version out right now, is S2 1.0, just with the new family licensing. The upgrade in June is going to be minor from that perspective.

zman wrote:

Scott,

Maybe Dan or John will comment on the update for the exact date, but the word is that the current license model runs out in June. Not certain exactly which date.

However, that should not stop you from downloading and getting used to S2 right now. It has been stated many times that the 2.0.14 version out right now, is S2 1.0, just with the new family licensing. The upgrade in June is going to be minor from that perspective.

Scott is correct.... There will be little change (some minor bug fixes) in the licensed release of S2. The major change will be license support.

As far as how people will get upgrades/licenses. This is evolving. Here is the current plan:

The S2 software suite will become the demo version of software. When people download the demo they will get get everything. Everything will work except for controlling lights. So the Sequence Editor, Show Editor, Simple Show Builder, Scheduler, Control Panel, Hardware Utility will all be part of the Demo.

When people purchase the software they will get a key to "unlock" the code. They will be able to use the key on 5 PCs. (exact number of PCs allowed has not been determined but we want you to be able to install it on a number of PCs) We will have online activation that will prevent key abuse. In the case that the target PC is not online there will be a manual activation scheme.

For people who have already purchased LOR I and are upgrading to S2, there will be a "free upgrade option" in the online store. When you select the free online upgrade it will be like purchasing something in the store but it will be free (or almost free depending on store limitations). You will have to checkout like a normal purchase. (we may have to charge a few cents to get this to work). When you do checkout, the system will automatically match your information to a previous software purchase of LOR I. If there is a match the system will generate an email containing your S2 software key. If there is not a match you will receive an email explaining how to contact LOR to receive your key.

In the store you will have the option to get a CD with the S2 software shipped to you. There will be a small charge if you decide to receive the CD.

Dan