Light-O-Rama Forums

Where to download music

JimCanfield

I purchased 2 songs through i tunes and am very unhappy. I cannot get it to play on my computer outside of playing it in i tunes library. I have tried to open it in audacity and export it but my player will not play it. What is the use of buying it if I cannot play it?? So is there another good place out there to download music? I have heard of Amazon, but will I have the same problems? I want to be able to purchase it and play it on my own computer and have LOR use it without having to jump through hoops to get it to play.

I have only bought one song from Amazon, but I can do anything I want to it, I have copies on my mp3 player, flash drive and computers HD. Amazon, I believe is against DRM protected music, so in theory, you could do anything you wated to do with Amazon music.

I DID hear a rumor about Amazon adding some kinda of special code to the ID3 tags, but I "think" that would be false, as the song I ggot had nothing special to it.

Hope This Helps!

--Daniel L

Going to have to jump through hopes unless you purchase drm free music. You can try Walmart as well.

What I do with itunes is to burn to a mp3 cd (edit, preferences, advanced, burning). This will switch it from mp4 to mp3. Then re-add the music back into intunes. You could always just copy and paste into audio file in lor or were ever you keep your music.

Very annoying, I agree. A big thank you to the RIAA for wanting to restrict the use the music we purchase.

I can get it onto a CD but how do I get it off of the CD onto my computer? I can open it with Winamp and play it off of the cd but cannot open it with Windows Media Player and I cannot open it with my computer.

I cannot open the CD from my computer. It says something like not having a program associated with it for performing this action. It is telling me to create an association

How did you create the cd? If you created through itunes, after burning, the cd should appear on the left side of the itunes interface. From there, you should be able to open and import.

I clicked file, import, and imported song from the CD. But that did not put it on my computer did it? I am sorry, this is making no sense to me whatsoever.

Rhapsody and Napster are also good sources for finding both common and not-so-common Holiday tunes. Check out their trial offers. I found quite a bit of good material there.

George Simmons

I've had great luck with amazon, which has only DRM free mp3s.

THey also have a number of FREE downloads you can download and try ... a couple are christmas songs.

Normally if you sort by popularity, you'll find the free downloads.

After you downloaded the songs from Amazon were they accessable immediatley? Or did you have to convert the songs somehow like you have to with i tunes?

Yes, they are immediately available and can be played, copied, whatever.

There is a downloaded tool that can be used to make the downloading process a little nicer.

The amazon download have no DRM, so its quite refreshing to me.

It seems to combine all your download you do, and at the end of the day, it combines these mini orders into one somehow.

I believe you need to have an amazon.com account and be logged in.

One of the interesting things I learned is that with audacity you can record whatever is playing on your computer. So if you can play a song with itunes you just start audacity first than start up itunes or in my case it was media player. Load the song into itunes and then quickly click over to and tell it audacity to record. Once recorded I exported it to an mp3 file. and now I have the one song I was having DRM problems with as a DRM free mp3 file. Before I did this I could only play that song (not a song I will be sequencing) on the computer it was downloaded on and not any other in my home network. Now I'm going to learn how to rip songs from DVD. So much to learn so little time.

jnealand wrote:

One of the interesting things I learned is that with audacity you can record whatever is playing on your computer. So if you can play a song with itunes you just start audacity first than start up itunes or in my case it was media player. Load the song into itunes and then quickly click over to and tell it audacity to record. Once recorded I exported it to an mp3 file. and now I have the one song I was having DRM problems with as a DRM free mp3 file. Before I did this I could only play that song (not a song I will be sequencing) on the computer it was downloaded on and not any other in my home network. Now I'm going to learn how to rip songs from DVD. So much to learn so little time.

Intersting concept.

I've done that with audacity, but the files only recorded in mono ... and a couple of the songs stopped working later on and I couldn't figure out why.

I've had no problems at all with Audacity. It's actually a pretty neat recorder/editor, especially for free, and it makes editing music as easy as an amateur like me needs it to be. Basically, it can record anything your sound card can process - either stereo or mono - regardless of input source. (Or copyright laws for that matter, so be careful!) I've used it for quite a few things and never noticed it recording in mono unless I set it to do that or unless it was recording a mono signal in the first place. Not only does it stabilize mp3 timing for sequencing, but I love the job it does of cleaning up old music transferred from vinyl, and also the way it can be used to 'normalize' loudness from one song to the next.

George Simmons

taybrynn wrote:

I've done that with audacity, but the files only recorded in mono ...

It appeared to me that it was recording in mono, but when I play it back, it is in stereo, may just be a display problem while recording.

That could be ... I just know (for me), it showed in the L and R track the word "mono" showed in Audacity on the far left of each track. It sounded pretty ok overall, whether it was really mono or not, I couldn't really tell.

I know another thing that some do is using zamzar (a free file convertor site) and specifying the URL on youtube or other sites ... and it will then extract and convert the audio for you (say into .mp3) and then mail it to you an hour later. This works, but I wasn't impressed with the audio quality and it was also mono, at least when converted to .mp3 .

personal note: since I'm doing LOR for the general public, I want to be darn sure that I legally own all the songs that I am using in the show. So even if I acquire a cut-down versino from another member ... I make sure I own that full version of that song and have paid for it. For $10 (or less), for 10 songs, I can be legal here, so I took RichardH' advice and made sure I owned all the songs used in the show.