Light-O-Rama Forums

Network Configuration changes Aux A to Port NONE

christmascrossing

I'm running LOR v4.3.14 Pro.

This is the first year I'm using multiple networks (standard LOR, enhanced LOR, and DMX).

I've set Aux A to COM 4, enhanced mode. COM3 is set to LOR standard.

My problem......

Once I go to the hardware configuration window, it seems LOR forgets that I set Com4 to Aux A.

I go to the Network configuration window, and it switches COM 4 to the regular network, and in Aux A it shows as None.

This has happened many times to be a fluke.  It is very repeatable.

It seems that the hardware configuration (just on start up) is over writing what I had specified in the network configuration.

Perhaps the Aux A network is switching to None in other places, as I tried to run my sequence, nothing happened, and I saw that Aux A was switched back to None.

Anyone see this issue? 

Thanks-

Yes. Com 3 is plugged into standard lor usb dongle. Com 4 is plugged into high speed (red) usb dongle.

And they do work.

It's just that it seems the software automatically sets auxiliary a to none in several cases.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, christmascrossing said:

Once I go to the hardware configuration window, it seems LOR forgets that I set Com4 to Aux A.

I go to the Network configuration window, and it switches COM 4 to the regular network, and in Aux A it shows as None.

I'm not sure I'm understanding your problem.  The hardware utility only deals with the comm port number - it neither knows nor cares what LOR network you have assigned to that comm port.  When I pull up the dropdown in the Hardware Utility for which network to use at this time, I get five choices: None, Comm 1 (which is the real RS-232 serial port on the computer), Comm 3 (which is one of my low speed LOR USB to RS-485 adapters), Comm 4 (which is the second low speed LOR USB to RS-485 adapters), and Comm 5 (which is my high speed LRO USB to RS-485 adapter).  No where on there does it display that Comm 3 is the Regular network, Comm 4 is Aux A, and Comm 5 is Aux B.  Note that all three adapters are plugged into the computer, but Aux B is not used except for Christmas.

... and to expand on what Jim said, if you select the COM port, the HWU will ask you 'Is this the port to use for shows'.  If you say YES it will change REGULAR to that COM port and delete all the rest.

21 minutes ago, DevMike said:

... and to expand on what Jim said, if you select the COM port, the HWU will ask you 'Is this the port to use for shows'.  If you say YES it will change REGULAR to that COM port and delete all the rest.

Thanks Mike.  Just wondering, if you answer NO, does it stop asking?  I remember the HU asking a long time ago, but it hasn't in quite a while.  I confirmed that in prep for my previous answer by remoting into my show computer and bringing up the HU to make sure I was speaking correctly.  Just did that again, and first selected Comm 5 (which is my Aux B network).  I was not asked if I wanted to change the show Comm Port, and Refreshing the network correctly Found 0 Units (they get installed this weekend - and I have to change Max Unit ID when I do as I have it turned down to 16 for year round operation).

Edited by k6ccc
Missed one word that changed the meaning.

There is a check box on the window that asks if this is the port for shows that says 'Don't ask me this again'.  Once you check that it goes away forever.  That's why you don't see it anymore.

Thanks for the info.

So, if my network is setup correctly and I go into hw configuration, and it asks me, right when it opens up, is this the port to use in shows. And I say yes, since it is one of the ports I'm using in the show, it will delete previous network setup.

I guess I should be answering no, so the hw config does not change my network settings for my show.

This is not very logical to me.  The hw config should not be asking this question nor automatically change my network setup.

Thanks for enlightening me on this.

I treat it like this.  The AutoConfigure in the HU is the "Simple setup for dummies" button.  IF you're running a single LOR network it will work for you and you can use it one time.  Once you have used it ONCE, there is never a need to use it again.  And if you are running multiple networks DON'T TOUCH IT!

Personally I prefer to open the Windows Device Manager and watch Windows assign the serial port when I plug in the RS-485 adapter.  That way I know what's going on.