Light-O-Rama Forums

Going Thru Brain-Freeze On DMX

obeeone

I need help in a bad way. I have tried for 4 months to get dmx running on my LOR. Nothing works. I'm trying to get a 27-channel controller to respond to LOR with a HolidayCoro Enttec adaptor. The status light blinks but none of the lights work. I've switched lights. When I use the controller test mode... I have lights. Network preferences are set to Univ 1, Entec adaptor etc. I've seen UTube videos and every one is successful. When I clone all the settings I've seen.... nothing. I can't figure it out. Anyone out there..... please.... show this brain-dead newbie what he is doing wrong. DMX controllers are cheaper than the LORs. That is why I wish to try them out.... if they work. SOS..... SOS.... SOS.... Attached are photos of the controller (switches are set for channel 123, not as shown), control panel and network preferences. Please help..... anyone.

24-2T.jpg

ScreenHunter_269 Oct. 25 07.24.jpg

ScreenHunter_270 Oct. 25 07.25.jpg

ScreenHunter_271 Oct. 25 07.25.jpg

I am new to DMX etc as well but it looks like you haven't assigned an IP address to your adapter, it should have shipped with default address that you can change. Also make sure you are set to multicast. My entec adapter won't work on unicast mode. 

I hope this helps, Z

Unless I'm mistaken, he is using a USB adapter, not E1.31.  A USB adapter would not have an IP address.

8 minutes ago, zvacman said:

I am new to DMX etc as well but it looks like you haven't assigned an IP address to your adapter, it should have shipped with default address that you can change. Also make sure you are set to multicast. My entec adapter won't work on unicast mode. 

I hope this helps, Z

No ip address as this is a dongle which should connect via usb.

I don't know what all you have on your network but the entec is only one universe 1-512 so if you have it as universe 1 and a 27 ch controller with dip switches for the circuits are they set properly? I mean are the dip switches set 1-27? You show universe 1 circuits 123, 124, 125 so are the dip switches set to start at channel 123?

In other words the dip switches set the starting channel. You will then use 27 channels in a row which are the channels programmed into the channels in the sequence editor.

Edited by Mr. P

6 minutes ago, zvacman said:

I did say I was new at it also. My entec is E1.31.

Z

You must have the enntec open, the one HC sells is the enntec pro which is usb.

I am so happy that some of you are responding. I'm using normal; 3825 LEDs. Nothing fancy. I'm using the ActiDongle adaptor. And yes, it's via USB. I've seen UTube videos where everyone else is successful. But when I copy the settings they're using.... nothing. The test mode on the controller shows lights are working. The photo of the controller is from an ad. I've set it to channel one..... failure. My LOR license is 4.3.12. My God.... I never knew it would be this difficult.

I'm going to assume you have a channel mismatch. Set your controller to channel 1 and do the same thing with LOR. You could set up a test sequence that has 512 channels on universe 1 Run a Chase through it to see if anything will light up

Does your status light change on the controller when you unplug the data cable? I can't remember if the light is supposed to be solid or blinking when it receives data

Edited by Ebuechner

I also have the same adapter from HC  and several of the 27ch controllers.  Why do you have the starting channel as RED-123, GREEN-124, BLUE- 125.?  For RGB each color is its own channel.  So if it's Universe 1 then the starting RED would be (1) then GREEN (2) then BLUE (3) then NEXT RGB would be RED (4) BLUE (5) GREEN (6) and so on for EACH channel. If you are only running (1) universe then the DMX controller dip switches should be set to a start channel of (1)  which would be (see picture).  If you really want to start off at channel 123 then you need to set the DMX dip switches  on the controller to reflect that (see picture) THEN on the Universe setup in your actual  sequence should reflect the same channel order (see picture) . .  Hope this helps... 

Screenshot_20161027-092919.png

Screenshot_20161027-093159.png

I pulled my controller out to confirm a few things for you. The status light will blink when you have the DMX signal, this is good because you stated that's what it's doing. You also said you tested from the controller and got the lights to work, correct? At this point we know the controller works and it's receiving a signal. All the dip switches on the board should be in the off position except for number 1 , this means all the switches will be towards the edge of the PC board except for number 1. Now we're working towards the computer on this problem. From the screenshots you have it looks like your setup correctly. Next thing you should check is your license level with Lor remember they want to charge more for you to use DMX with their software. If your software level will allow it next thing you need to do the setup a test sequence. Like I said before set up a sequence with one universe 512 channels then run a Chase pattern through all 512 channels. When you do that something should happen.